when to dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deremer

Reaction score
I got a recipe from my lhbs and it has 1 oz of pellets for dry hopping but didn't give the time to add them. I brewed last night and added my yeast this morning after it sat in the swamp cooler over night.

You want to add dry hops after fermentation has ceased, and assuming you are bottling, you want to add them to the primary. I primary for a month or more. I'd leave the primary alone for 3-4 weeks, then stuff in the hops for another week.

Use something to contain them, as in a SS teaball or hops bag.

I DH in the keg using a grain sock.

For my IPAs, I dry hop in a hop bag after I've moved the beer to a secondary or bright carboy. I put the hops in four days before bottling and rack the beer out of the secondary to my bottling bucket, and then work to remove the hop bag (which isn't difficult but requires a little work). Good luck and cheers!

I started dry hopping with whole hops in a bag, went to pellet hops in a stainless tube and now I just dump the pellet hops in when racking to secondary. When you transfer to bottle most of the hops will have settled down to the bottom and some may get in, but they will settle to the bottom of the bottling bucket.

Usually I will dry hop in the secondary for 10 to 14 days before bottling, sometimes longer without negative side effects.

The closer to bottling, the better. I dryhop in the keg for a week and generally wait until I'm ready to put it online.

I like to add a couple 3" SS "tea ball" in my keg and let that sit for 4-5days at 70degrees... then crash cool it leaving the tea ball in the keg until it is empty....

if you are bottling... I add it to the secondary and bottle as usual... no need for a hop bag
I always have a few bottles with hop particles and I swear they are the better ones.

Back