When to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevepat

Reaction score
I started my first batch, Coopers lager, on 1st Jan. the OV was 1.038 as it said it should be. I'm now on day 11 and the FV looks set at 1.013 after a couple of recent readings. I was hoping to get it down to 1.008 as per the guide. The batch doesn't look clear as yet and darker on the top of the batch than bottom.
Just wondering whether I should continue to leave it or to bottle. Room temp is a steady 22C.
I used the full Coopers starter kit.

Cheers in advance!

Sounds like you are using an ale yeast since your fermentation temps are 71 degrees F. Let's hope this is the case!

You will never hurt a beer by giving it more time to ferment, unless it's going on months (you would then need to pitch more yeast if you were going to bottle carb as your yeasties could have died off). Give it some more time to be safe, but since your gravity hasn't changed, it's a lower alcohol beer, and your fermentation temps were high, it probably is done though.

Looking in my notebook for my 1st batch-Cooper's OS Lager-actually an ale with the yeast used,had an OG of 1.048. I used the brewing sugar that came with it (dextrose). That was the kit that came with my Cooper's Microbrew set. About 14 days till it was ready to bottle at 1.012. It turned out fine,but def needs some flavor hops. Here's a pic of the finished product;
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/PA1_zpsa8362465.jpg.html] [/URL]

I would let it sit in your FV for another 10 days (3 weeks minimum). IMO this will help to improve on the clarity and flavor, by giving the yeast time to clean up after themselves. You should also drop a point or two on your gravity reading and get you closer to the 1.008 target. Cheers!

Sounds like you are using an ale yeast since your fermentation temps are 71 degrees F. Let's hope this is the case!

You will never hurt a beer by giving it more time to ferment, unless it's going on months (you would then need to pitch more yeast if you were going to bottle carb as your yeasties could have died off). Give it some more time to be safe, but since your gravity hasn't changed, it's a lower alcohol beer, and your fermentation temps were high, it probably is done though.

Sound advice. I don't think there's any drawback to bottling a week late, but bottling a week early could get messy.

The best piece of equipment you can have is patience.

Thanks all. I'll hold fire for another week. Sound advice. Just as well that it's Dryathlon and I'm in no hurry to push things. Roll on Feb!
Cheers!

Sound advice. I don't think there's any drawback to bottling a week late, but bottling a week early could get messy.

The best piece of equipment you can have is patience.

MESSY: very true! If you bottle early, you could still have some more sugar for the yeast to consume + the sugar to prime with = bottle explosion OR massive foam when poured. Time is on your side if you leave it in the fermenter an extra few days or week!!

Back