When To Bottle My First Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I brewed my first true lager on 1.19.07, a pilsner. For some reason, it finished fermenting (at 52f) in like 3 or 4 days. Wasn't expecting that, but okay. Anyway, it's been at 36-39f since then. I'm curious as to how long it really needs, and whether or not I could finish up the lagering process in the bottle. I've heard 2-3 months for lagering, but I'd like a little more clarity on this issue.

I put my lagers into kegs, so it's not quite the same - I try to leave it in the carboy for 2 months or so, but sometimes I can't wait that long - If I am doing an ale in the summer, I put that into the "lager freezer" at 65 or so. Iffen :D I need to do that, I'll xfer to keg, and let it keep going in the fridge.

For bottles, I've heard that bulk conditioning is better, but I didn't really see any proof or evidence to that end, just that it was better.

If you bottle now, would you still keep them in the 36 - 39 degree range?

I'm no expert, but here's what I've been doing and I'm getting pretty good results.

I shoot for 2 weeks in the primary at about 50 degrees. This has varied from 10 - 21 days, depending on my schedule and patience. I don't generally do any diacetyl rests.

I shoot for 4 weeks in the secondary at about 40 degrees. Again it has varied from 21 - 30 days. I haven't noticed any significant differences in the short or longer lagering times.

I bottle them and put them in my closet at about 70 degrees for 7 - 10 days then move them back to my 40 degree crawlspace for at least another 3 weeks. I have noticed significant changes by leaving them in the bottles longer. 4 weeks total in the bottles is a bare minimum. 6 or even 8 weeks is MUCH better.

Hope that helps.

Back