When to add yeast at bottling? (3711 and 1.000 beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerFingers

Reaction score
So I made a Saison style beer with an O.G. of 1.076. I have made it the exact same way a few times. I use 3711 and it always finishes around 1.005/6. Well 2 weeks ago I checked the gravity of batch #3 (it was down to 1.000) and bottled. Chilled one today and there is only the faintest hiss of carbonation. Should I have added more yeast at bottling or should I assume that a beer that finishes that low needs a few more weeks to carb?

I say give it more time. The general rule on hbt is give it three weeks. There is almost alway enough yeast in your brew to carb it. Normally the higher gravity beers take longer where they finish doesn't matter as much. It will carb I had a high gravity porter that took like three months to carb.

Was there a yeast layer on the bottom of the bottle? 3711 drops pretty quick when it chills and really sticks to the bottom of the bottle. You may try shaking the bottles up a bit and get the yeast in suspension.

Back