when to add hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TugsyNZ

Reaction score
recipe says 90 minute boil
60 grams hops at 60mins
30 grams at 30 mins

Does this mean bring to boil wait 30 minutes add the 60min hops, then 30 minutes later add 30 grams hops?

Thanks in advance

A 60 minute boil will isomerize nearly all of the hop oils that contribute to bitterness. A 90 minute boil with them in should not contribute any discernable more. The hops added at 30 minutes will have approximately 90% of the isomerization of a 60 minute boil and very little of the aromatic oils will survive that long in the boil. Depending on what hops are used, you might be as well off with all of them at 60 minutes for bittering or move the 30 minute addition to 10 minutes to retain some of the aroma.

A recipe is a record of what someone else did, not a chemical formula. This recipe's designer may not have realized what a 30 minute addition would do. I choose a recipe as a starting point, then modify it to fit what I want from my beer.

Thanks for sharing this knowledge. I was using Saaz hops for an attempt st a Peroni clone. I did end up putting some additional hops in 15grams at 15 minutes as well. If it ends up different to the clone all good from my end :)

Thanks again!

Back