When to add coconut for best flavor under certain situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUNDASJ

Reaction score
I've got a starter going right now for a coconut porter I'm brewing this weekend. I was just offered a work related trip on the 8th for 2 weeks I definitely don't want to turn down. So here's my dilema. The recipe calls for a coconut addition in the secondary where as I will be gone at the time to do a secondary and upon arrival I'm going on a road trip. I'd like to bottle the primary when I get back from my trip.This is the first time I was going to rack a beer onto something for flavor. I was wondering if I added it to the boil if that would give it enough flavor or not?

Also was wondering why no one adds stuff to the primary. I'm not to worried about trub as I don't even mess with secondaries because that's just my method as it is for others. I feel its safer and less of a PIA . Any thoughts or comments are gratefully appreciated!

All the CO2 coming off during fermentation gasses out aromas, thats why these flavorings are added to secondary. You can give it a try, surely some of the flavor/aroma will come through the fermentation. Worst case, you have a porter.

I add almost all of my additions to a primary, but AFTER fermentation is 100% done, typically 3-7 days after my beer hits FG. As long as you do that, primary additions are just fine. You don't want to add things before beer is done actively fermenting, for reasons discussed above, though.

I didn't see that the OP's beer will have nearly a week in primary, good point on adding as late into ferm as possible.

Thanks for all your responses! I'll toss the coconut in the primary the night before I leave next Thursday. Now I just got to hunt down some coconut. The Wally world by my house doesn't have it on the shelf anymore. You guys rock!

Back