When in doubt, go with copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an interesting story... but it's about hospitals.

There's certainly nothing wrong with copper - and it is obviously preferred over stainless in certain spots (chilling, for example) - but I'm still going stainless every other time. Brewing isn't done in a hospital, and practicing good sanitation is almost muscle memory once you've done it enough, in which case, stainless is better in my opinion. At worst, they're equal, but I wouldn't agree to say "copper is much better."

I understand the antimicrobial properties that they're talking about; however, like TungstenBeer, I am not convinced copper is much better than stainless in brewing. Perhaps in hospitals, but brewing, I would say that I would stick with stainless pots and such.

Copper has been used in Belgian breweries for centuries, more so for the heat conductive properties than for the then unknown antiseptic properties.

I've read somewhere that a small amount of copper in the wort is beneficial for yeast health. As to whether or not I get any from my copper counterflow chiller is up for debate but I'm glad to know it's not great for bacteria to reside.

The trouble is, especially for industrialized brewing, that copper tends to react more substantially to chemicals for cleaning and sanitizing.

The trouble is, especially for industrialized brewing, that copper tends to react more substantially to chemicals for cleaning and sanitizing.

That's why I only run a Starsan solution through right after running the wort from my boil through the counterflow chiller; no cleaner needed

Copper is proven to shorten the shelf life of beer. Not so much a homebrew problem, but a big problem for commercial beers that might sit around a while.

Back