When/How to add cinnamon sticks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerd Bro

Reaction score
Hi Homebrew Fam!

I have found alot of threads about this but my case is a little particular. I am currently fermenting a 5 gal dopplebock with the brulosephy "quick lager" method (sorry purists!) And it worked well for my Oktoberfest.

Essentially I am fermenting at temp controlled 53 until 50% gravity (probably 10 days for this big boy)

I will then free rise to ale temp until fermentation is complete. Then lager as long as I can stand

My question is when, how, and how much cinnamon should I add? I was thinking 2 sticks as I rise to ale temps for a week but that would still be during active fermentation, I wasn't sure if waiting till fermentation is complete was OK as I would then have an extended "Ale temp" as I wait for the cinnamon.

You might consider making a tincture of cinnamon soaked in vodka for a couple of weeks, then add it to taste at bottling/kegging. Two sticks sounds kind of strong in a light beer, but it depends on what you're looking for. Good luck!

Thanks! It's a 1.86 gravity dark Bock so I think it should have a strong body to hold it, how much vodka would you say?

Back