When do you transfer for long secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkingStickMan

Reaction score
When do you guys transfer your sours out of the primary for their long secondary fermentation? As the beer is slowing fermentation in the primary? I ask because I know that at least a small amount of CO2 needs to exist in the secondary so that the longer aging doesn't oxidize the beer, however I don't have a kegging system or any CO2 cartridges, etc. Thanks!

Peace.

I wait until the beer is done fermenting and most of the yeast has dropped out. A little oxygen isn't a big deal, remember that these beers are traditionally aged in oak which lets in air as the beer ages (The Brett will continue to produce CO2 slowly, so that will provide some protection from occasional samplings). That said, your secondary fermenter should be mostly full. I leave lambics in primary, and that is an option for all sours, but it lends a funkier character that I usually don't want.

Allot of people have different views and opinions on this but i agree with oldsock I am transferring my Barleyweed tomorrow...leaving it to age in secondary for 2-3 months!

I transferred all my lambics after about a month or so, when the majority of the fermentation was done (like oldsock said). Once in secondary, they sat for about 1.5 years or more.

Let me restate, I am letting them sit in secondary for 3 months then bottling and conditioning for another 3! I normally keg, but for these beers Bottles work better for me...

Back