when do you tell her?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most women I've mentioned the "hobby" to were interested and suprised. The few exceptions, "Ewww beer?", tended to be rather closed minded on many subjects. If it's gonna work, it's gonna work, the brewing's not going to make a difference unless you let it.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

Robert Heinlein

I'm short in the girlfriend department but heavy in the "female friend" area. So I've brought it up with a number of girls, and really the response I've gotten is highly dependent upon the individual. One, dislikes beer and thinks that, in general, alcohol "makes you stupid". I've gradually managed to convince her that there is a beer for everyone, and she simply hasn't tried it yet.

Another was really cool with it. One of those:
me: BTW, do you drink? I make my own beer and cider.
her: Oh you do, really?
me: Yeah! And it's some pretty good stuff. You wanna try some?
her: sure.
later...
her: can I have some more

:D. You win some you lose some.

I too am blessed with a SWMBO that supports my habit. She likes it a lot better than my last "Hobby" (read addiction) Racing Nitro Powered Remote Control Cars, Buggies and Trucks. I am home a lot more, I spend less money, I don't come home grumpy, dirty and exhausted, and she sees how much I enjoy the fruits of my labours.

She bought my fist starter kit for me for Xmas, and then sort of panicked when the $120Kit RAPIDLY turned into 7 fermenters, 300 bottles, 12 kegs, 3 extra fridges, one less bathroom and now an outdoor brewing kitchen.

If I were dating a new woman and had this "hobby" I think I would introduce her to it by taking her out on a date to a Brew Pub and start talking about different styles of beers, the history of brewing, maybe compare fine beers of the world to fine wines of the world etc. Hopefully she would at least try a few types and like them, but if not at least she will understand your interest in fine brews. Then when you later tell her that you brew your own beer due to your interest in the craft and the fine beers of the world, she will understand.... and maybe even HELP on brewday!

paranode said:
Yeah I would be casual about it like any other thing you do in your spare time. If she has a problem with it, it's probably not going to just go away. She'll just try to "change you" which rarely works out so well. :p

That's the whole trouble, with women,(from Venus) they think they can change you. Men (from Mars) think the woman wil never change. And .... they always do!:confused: :mug: :tank:

My SWMBO doesn't like beer. At all. Most brews I do she'll not even taste. But she tolerates my hobby, knowing I could be spending more money golfing or in a strip club drinking BMC by the pitcher, etc, or even buying commercial brews by the case.

Would it be cooler if she drank it too? Sure! But the fact that she doesn't means there's twice as much homebrew for me.

Don't let her lack of interest in beer be a deterrent...if she isn't supportive of your brewing, though...well, that's a different story altogether.

Back