When can you add chocolate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheers23

Reaction score

hi everyone
first post.

second homebrew.

im currently in the botteling stage of a scottish export clone
its a very dark beer with a high alchol content
around 7%
I want to give it a little more flavor to hide the alchol taste and I thought
chocolate would be a good way to go.
is there anyway to add choocolate before bottling
and if so what kind of chocolate and how much for a 5 gallon brew?

Cheers:mug:

hi everyone
first post.

second homebrew.

im currently in the botteling stage of a scottish export clone
its a very dark beer with a high alchol content
around 7%
I want to give it a little more flavor to hide the alchol taste and I thought
chocolate would be a good way to go.
is there anyway to add choocolate before bottling
and if so what kind of chocolate and how much for a 5 gallon brew?

Cheers:mug:

1 oz. which is a 1/4 cup of unsweetened baking cocoa is perfect. Just add it at flame out is fine.

Forrest

1 oz. which is a 1/4 cup of unsweetened baking cocoa is perfect. Just add it at flame out is fine.

Forrest

he wants to know if he can add it to the bottling bucket when bottling. My answer is maybe....but not to much. Add a little baking cocoa and stir and taste. and keep doing that til it tastes right for you. Dont forget to add that priming sugar though

Best is at flameout, that way it gets in your fermenter and the beer gets to sit on it for awhile.

You can add it at anytime. I have added it at bottling many many times without a problem. So have many of my customers.

Just dissove it in some water first.

DO NOT keep adding to taste. You will always over add if you do this.
If the beer is green you will add too much because you can't taste it very well in a green beer. Then when it has aged to extra chocolate will be there.

1oz - 1/4 cup is perfect.

I used 6 oz of cocoa powder in my chocolate stout, and thought it was the right amount.

I added it at the end of the boil, but next time I plan to add half then and the other half in secondary after fermentation.

Back