When and how to lager when bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njohnsoncs

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a koslch which I want to lager and I will be bottling it. My question is: should I rack to a secondary, lager in a carboy, and then bottle or should I first bottle and then lager in the bottles?

From everything I've read, it's personal preference. I just bottled a pilsner and am now lagering.

It seems better to first bottle then allow it to carb at room temp for a couple weeks and then lager. That way you don't run the risk of not getting it carbed since the yeast has fallen out and you also don't go from room temp to lager temp back to room temp and back again lol

I lager for a month and a half in the primary , bottle , carb and then cold condition in bottles .

My schedule is as follows:
Primary fermentation at 50°F for about 7-10 day depending on gravity readings.

Diacetyl Rest raise temperature gradually (no faster than 5°F per day) until reach 68°F and hold for 48-72 hours.

Transfer to secondary and slowly lower temperature (5°F per day) currently I am lagering at 34°F I will hold it for 14 days then transfer and cold storage for 4 - 6 weeks.

I hope this helps

Good luck

My schedule is as follows:
Primary fermentation at 50°F for about 7-10 day depending on gravity readings.

Diacetyl Rest raise temperature gradually (no faster than 5°F per day) until reach 68°F and hold for 48-72 hours.

Transfer to secondary and slowly lower temperature (5°F per day) currently I am lagering at 34°F I will hold it for 14 days then transfer and cold storage for 4 - 6 weeks.

I hope this helps

Good luck

This implies you also bottle condition in cold temp... how do you get it to carb?

I get most of my CO2 during the step down also my fermentation vessel allows me to top off about the final 2 psi I need before transfer. This of course depending on the yeast attenuation, also I do a very large yeast starter and oxygen my wort throughly.
So far it works great for me

Latest posts

Back