when adding hops to my boil...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeLordBrewing

Reaction score
I use these stainless steel mesh ball that has a chain and clips to the edge of the kettle,

http://www.teatoenjoy.com/catalog/images/Accesories_MeshTeaBall.bmp

is this an okay practice??? Am I not getting the full potential out of my hops because of this???

I like this just because I don't have to pour the wort through a strainer at the end of my boil when transferring over to the fermenter makes things easier and quicker. But was starting to wondering if I am hampering my ability to add bitterness and aroma using this technique thanks in advance - Shawn

I can't answer your question but have you looked into using muslin bags? I think they work well and expand quite a bit letting the boiling water through them etc.

I use nylon hop bags and throw them right in the boil. There are different sizes and reusable. They work great.

They work well for whole hops, but the pellets will get though the screen. A hops spider and paint strainer bag work better. Cheers:)

To answer your question, I believe using this type of apparatus slightly affects your "hop utilization", but is extremely convenient.

I'd suggest using mesh bags instead and be sure to stir the hops inside the bag several times during the boil.

Once you get/make a hop spider you won't even think about using loose bags to hold the hops in the boil. I do use the nylon hop bag(s) when dry hopping in a keg, but I just use the spider for the boil. I have a few different bags I can use, but Williams has a 9x14 that fits the 6" stainless ring of my spider perfectly. You can use larger bags, or paint straining bags if you like, since you just need to hold the bag open and onto the spider's ring/body.

Another really nice thing about using a hop spider is the amount of hops that you can fit inside it. I can easily get 6oz, or far more, into the bag on my spider. Plus, it's really easy to add more hops to the spider, not really easy to do that with a bag you have tied off, even if you have it linked to the side of the kettle. I've done it before, and it sucks.

thanks for all the replies I will be looking into the paint strainer option, are they re-usable ?? or and once and discard??

Paint strainer bags are definitely reusable. Just wash them out well and hang to dry. I use multiple bags per boil....a bag for every time addition. I remove them before whirlpooling with sanitized stainless tongs. And you can throw an empty into sanitizer solution for a late hop addition. I just prefer them to the spider method.

I just pour the wort through a strainer into the fermenter. The puts oxygen in and catches most if the leftover hop particles.

Tried that with the insert for the large funnels once... Once... :eek: I had to keep clearing the hop matter and break matter from it in order to keep the wort flowing (the wort MUST flow)...

Honestly, you don't need to keep the hop matter out of the fermenter. I do it because early on I was washing my yeast and wanted to keep the hop matter out so it would be easier to extract just the yeast. Now I do it because I use a plate chiller and I'd rather not have the hop matter getting into it.

I was using one smaller bag (or the bags sold for hops) per hop addition. When you have more than two hop additions, it gets rather tiring. Plus, if you don't want the bag to go over the ball valve's opening/dip tube, you need to keep them secured to the side (or tie them off to the kettle handle). IME, it quickly became more trouble than they were worth. With my [stainless steel] hop spider, I can simply toss the hops in through the ring (6" diameter) into the attached nylon mesh bag, and not worry about it at all. Plus, the hop bag is in the center of the kettle/keggle. On top of all that, there's just ONE nylon hop bag to clean out after the brew is into the fermenter, so it's less cleanup.

By the way, EdWort once stated that he enjoys using those stainless steel mesh balls for dry hopping. I'd like to try one for that purpose. Where can I find one of these?

Cacaman said:
I guess AHS doesn't carry them :(
I'll try my grocery store!

Check in the tea section. They're also commonly used for brewing loose tea as well.

I use these stainless steel mesh ball that has a chain and clips to the edge of the kettle,

http://www.teatoenjoy.com/catalog/images/Accesories_MeshTeaBall.bmp

is this an okay practice??? Am I not getting the full potential out of my hops because of this???

I like this just because I don't have to pour the wort through a strainer at the end of my boil when transferring over to the fermenter makes things easier and quicker. But was starting to wondering if I am hampering my ability to add bitterness and aroma using this technique thanks in advance - Shawn

And just what problem are you trying to solve by keeping all the hops out of the fermenter? I dump the whole mess in, let it settle with the yeast forming a layer above the hop trub and siphon it back out to the bottling bucket when it is done fermenting, being careful not to stir it up too much.:rockin:

Also look on Amazon for them. I've seen different sized tea-balls there. :eek: Man, does that sound as wrong to you guys?? :tank:

If using it in my carboy, it would have to be a rather smaller one so that it can fit in there... Unless secondary in a bucket is a viable option? :confused:

I've dumped whole hops into primary, loose, to dry hop with great results. I've also added them to the keg (in a nylon bag) with great results. If you're not kegging, though, that could be an issue. When dry hopping in fermenter, I go 6-7 days. When in the keg, I add them just before it goes into the brew fridge. Gives it that wonderful dry-hop goodness for the entire keg.

Golddiggie said:
I've dumped whole hops into primary, loose, to dry hop with great results. I've also added them to the keg (in a nylon bag) with great results. If you're not kegging, though, that could be an issue. When dry hopping in fermenter, I go 6-7 days. When in the keg, I add them just before it goes into the brew fridge. Gives it that wonderful dry-hop goodness for the entire keg.

Good idea to dry hop in keg. I don't use whole hops though, I use pellets. Any chance of clogging the keg dip tube?

Good idea to dry hop in keg. I don't use whole hops though, I use pellets. Any chance of clogging the keg dip tube?

Put them into a nylon 'hop' bag and you should be fine...

BTW, the last keg I did this with (whole hops is the only difference) it was great for the entire month it took me to kick it. That's on top of the two weeks it was carbonating. I was a bit bummed when the keg finally kicked, since it was still so damned good.

This is how my schedule looks for my next batch:

Imperial Pale Ale by brewers best

(only thing I am doing different is Dry hopping, and adding yest nutrient, shooting for minimal of 8% and will adjust water to hit an OG of 1.080-1.085, and adding Wyeast American ale instead of pack provided with kit)

Primary: 3 weeks
Secondary: 2 weeks (Dry hopping with 2 oz. of Citra hops in bag)
keg: 1 week (carbonate/age along with hops from secondary in bag)

Latest posts

Back