Wheel removal epic fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh sweet, now I know what I need to do when the time comes to change my tire.

Wish I had some pictures of Tom's Peugeot adventure in high school. Got a flat, busted a stud off, stripped a second one (this was a three bolt wheel). After pulling the wheel off, something in the suspension broke jamming the brake disk into the pavement. Then the car fell off the jack! No cellphones back then, so we had a bit of a walk to call his dad and a tow truck.

Turned out the wheel was cracked as well. Lovely car.

I had to do the same thing.

My old pick-up had Spoked Mags on it. The lug nuts had galled onto the wheel. I tried to remove one of the wheels and the hex portion of the lug snapped, leaving the shank in and stuck to the wheel. I had no choice but to Sawsall the spokes to remove the outside rim and tire. Then I was able to hammer it from the backside to break it off.

Should have been a quick and simple job changing brakes or whatever I was doing. Turned into a major PITA. Then I had to find a wheel to match. Really sucked. Always use anti seize on lug nuts.

I think I would have tried drilling the lug and replacing rather than cutting into the wheel. I had a stripped lug and eventually just took it downtown to the tire place and they got it off and replaced the lugnut for like $10.

Ohhh man, all I've ever owned and worked on are VW's... with the exception of my SV650... and that guy went about sooo very wrong. I would never ever have to resort to that... I think a major trick when you're dealing with lugbolts is to avoid putting them on with an air wrench, that will save you alot of hassle on the side of the highway.

I think a major trick when you're dealing with lugbolts is to avoid putting them on with an air wrench, that will save you alot of hassle on the side of the highway.

Nuts or bolts, never use an airwrench on wheels! After taking my van to the dealer (for the very last time), I checked the bolts. They were way over spec. Backed them off, applied some liquid carbon and torqued them. Much better to set them right in the comfort of my garage, than wrestle with them on the road.

Back