Wheat yeast? and my wife has a cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pktshc

Reaction score
Good morning folks-

I have three questions.

1. I plan to brew a wheat beer today (actually the Miami Weisse recipe available in the recipe section on this site). Unfortunately, my LHBS did not have any of the special wheat yeasts available. So I purchased a yeast (Windsor dry yeast) that I have used previously with good results and plan to use that. Is there an issue with me using a non-wheat specific yeast for a wheat beer? Will it negatively affect the fermentation?

2. Second question. My wife has a cold and, as such, is laid up on the couch. Am I at a higher risk of contamination because of her being sick? I do not want to ruin the batch, but I really don't want to have to wait until next weekend to brew either.

3. The recipe calls for 8oz of wheat grains and 4oz of crystal. I purchased both, but did not use the grinder at the LHBS to crack them. Can I just use a rolling pin, or do I need to do it the right way? I do not have a grain mill at home and doing it the right way will make me leave the house...which, with 22 inches of snow, is not an easy process.

As always....thanks.

Jeff

pktshc said:
Good morning folks-

I have three questions.

1. I plan to brew a wheat beer today (actually the Miami Weisse recipe available in the recipe section on this site). Unfortunately, my LHBS did not have any of the special wheat yeasts available. So I purchased a yeast (Windsor dry yeast) that I have used previously with good results and plan to use that. Is there an issue with me using a non-wheat specific yeast for a wheat beer? Will it negatively affect the fermentation?

2. Second question. My wife has a cold and, as such, is laid up on the couch. Am I at a higher risk of contamination because of her being sick? I do not want to ruin the batch, but I really don't want to have to wait until next weekend to brew either.

3. The recipe calls for 8oz of wheat grains and 4oz of crystal. I purchased both, but did not use the grinder at the LHBS to crack them. Can I just use a rolling pin, or do I need to do it the right way? I do not have a grain mill at home and doing it the right way will make me leave the house...which, with 22 inches of snow, is not an easy process.

As always....thanks.

Jeff

Your home is filled with bacteria that don't make you sick, the common cold is a virus and would not survive in wort. I beleive it needs to inhabit another living cell to live.

Just put your grain in a heavy zip lock and rolling pin away. Waiting to do it right before brew time will keep the grain the freshest.

As far as the yeast, I know any yeast will make beer, but I am not sure how a non yeast product will affect a yeast beer.

Linc

Don't worry about your wife's cold.

Use a rolling pin on those grains.

As far as the yeast selection...a bavarian yeast provides perhaps one of the most recognizable flavors there is. That clove / banana profile comes from the yeast.

Using a non-wheat yeast will produce a good beer. But you're more likley to have an American Wheat style...likea Boulevard wheat.

BierMuncher said:
Don't worry about your wife's cold.

Use a rolling pin on those grains.

As far as the yeast selection...a bavarian yeast provides perhaps one of the most recognizable flavors there is. That clove / banana profile comes from the yeast.

Using a non-wheat yeast will produce a good beer. But you're more likley to have an American Wheat style...likea Boulevard wheat.

Don't her I said this, but I have to worry about her cold...she will not stop complaining about it!;)

Thanks for the feedback. Interestingly enough, Boulevard is one of our favorite beers, so that will work out well...

Thanks again!

Jeff

Latest posts

Back