Wheat Profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revansCAAD8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Gang, brewing our first Wheat IPA tomorrow and was wondering which water profile to use in Bru'n Water? I was thinking the 'Pale Ale' profile since we normally use it for our Pale' & IPA's? Thoughts?

Next, we usually aim for 5.3 Mash PH for our IPA's but was wondering what your Mash PH experience is for Wheat (45%) brews?

Thanks for the help!
Robert & Shelly
GypsyBrew

With that much wheat in a pale beer, the first order of business is to get your mash pH in order. After that, any additions should be made based off the flavor you want. I don't see any reason to make it any different from your usual for pale ales and IPAs.

I usually target a mash pH of 5.4 for my pale ales and IPAs, but if you like the flavor at 5.3, that's fine. A pale ale profile is fine, if you like what sulfate brings to the hops flavor and the dryness of the beer.

Wheat beers are made with widely varying waters. I always found them to work best with soft (low overall mineral content) water. In particular, if you are using noble hops, stay off the sulfate.

No need to worry about offending the noble hops when brewing a hoppy and bitter beer. AJ's advice is most applicable to malt focused beers. If you want the beer to dry in the finish and accentuate the bittering, then sulfate is a requirement.

Strongly disagree. Though the hops should be subtle in a wheat if there is sulfate it puts an unpleasant, gagging edge on what should be very nuanced bitterness. Individual tastes may vary but that's what I experience and why I brew wheats with 0 sulfate water. And wheat beers are definitely malt 'focused'. It's just that it is largely wheat malt.

Back