Wheat malt extract questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmeister13

Reaction score
I have a recipe for a Hefe that uses wheat malt extract that is 40% wheat 60% barley. My LHBS only carries 65% wheat 35% barley. Can I use the 65% stuff and compensate by figuring out how much of the 65 to subtract and pure barley to add to reach 40% or would this affect the flavor more than just using the regular stuff?

Thanks

As long as neither of them are pre-hopped extracts that should be fine.

I'm stuck at work and I'm bored so I did the math. 3 parts of your wheat/barely to 2 parts of your pure barely gets you there.

I think someone transposed some numbers on your recipe. It is quite rare to see a wheat recipe that uses more barley than wheat. If you use that 65/35 stuff form your LHBS I think you will be quite happy. If you don't want to do that then do the math and figure out how much light extract you will need to get the balance you want.

I think someone transposed some numbers on your recipe. It is quite rare to see a wheat recipe that uses more barley than wheat.

I am getting the 40% wheat 60% barley from the Austin HBS website. I bought a kit clone from them and now need to double it for a 10 gallon batch, but don't have time to wait for them to ship it and don't want to pay $7 shipping for $24 worth of supplies.

Thanks for the replies, I'm on the fence wether it is worth it to do the calculations and measuring or just use what I have. Guess I'll have to figure that one out for myself.

Back