Wheat IPA - Please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Native302

Reaction score
I'm taking the Army Basic Instructor Course and have to give a 55 minute conference/demonstration presentation. My first two presentations were on brewing ingredients and brewing equipment, this presentation will be actually brewing a 5 gallon batch.

Witout spending extra money I want to use some ingredients I have at home. My idea was to do a Wheat IPA. I'm on a time constraint and will be going the extract route and will have to mash the grains prior to the class.

Here is what I have so far. 50 min boil

9 lbs Bavarian Wheat LME

steep 10-12 oz crystal 20L

Willamette Hops 1 oz 50 min
Amarillo Hops 1 oz 50 min
Cascade Hops 1 oz 50 min
Amarillo Hops .5 oz 5 min
Cascade Hops .5 oz 5 min
Dry hop with cascade and amarillo .5 oz each on day 5 and 7

Please let me know what you think or any suggestions so I can adjust fire accordingly. Thanks

made adjustments

cara-pils isn't really needed in wheats/extracts so I'd cut it. IMO, you're fine with just the extract and the hops for a wheat IPA. you could steep some of the C20 if you wanted, but I don't think you need the rest. I'd move the 30min amarillo add later in the boil too, adds between 20-60 mins are kinda a waste.

I would probably back down on the malt a bit since you are short on hops. As is you are looking at a ~1.090 beer with ~40 IBUs. I would go down to 6 lbs of LME, and push enough of the mid-boil hops back to the start of the boil to get ~55-60 IBUs. Then I would push the rest of the mid-boil hops to the end of the boil (or dry hop) to get more hop aroma.

Thanks for the quick response all. I actually have 3lbs of willamette, 1lb of cascade, and 1lb of amarillo, so adding more hops isn't a problem.

I have to use all the 9 lbs of extract cause it's the end of a growler. I'll cut all the cara-pils but want to keep the crystal 20 and just cut in back to about 10-12 oz. Was also thinking about adding a ounce of sweet orange peel at 10 min. How does that sound.

Would you suggest going with the

Willamette 1 oz at 50
Amarillo 1 oz at 50
Cascade 1 oz at 50

Amarillo .5 oz at 5
Cascade .5 oz at 5

Dry hop .5oz of each on days 5 and 7 in secondary

Looks better. Personally, I wouldnt use the sweet orange peel, but I don't think it'd hurt anything if you wanted to use it. What size boil will this be? Oh and what yeast?

Oh and just to throw this in another direction, you could also go with hop bursting and just do a 20-30min boil and load all the hops in late since you got plenty to spare and extract doesn't need a long boil.

The hops will overwhelm the wheat flavor, I am not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

I would change the 50 min Amarillo addition to 30 min, Amarillo will add a nice flavor.

Ok so no orange peel. Sounds good.

This will be a 3.5 gallon, 50 min boil to save time. I like the idea of adding the hops late.

I was thinking 04 or 05 dry yeast

I wanted to try a wheat IPA. I know there are some wheat IPA's out there.

can someone give me an idea on how and when to use the hops in the boil. using willamette, amarillo and cascade hops. Thanks all

Aside from being a little low on IBUs, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the current hop schedule. You could add more in the 10-20min region if you want more flavor, or later if you want extra aroma, but its up to you if you want that.
I do have a few questions tho. How long are you dry hopping for? When are you racking to secondary? and why are you racking? If it's just for dry hopping, you don't need to go through the trouble.

I was going to rack to secondary to try and clear it up. and dry gop in ther for 7 days

Since you have extra hops I'd do 3-4 oz of Amarillo @ 50 min, then 2 oz each Amarillo and Cascade at flameout and for dry hopping. If you want a beer that big to be hoppy with a partial boil you really have to kill it with hops. I find that mid-boil hops don’t really add much for a really hoppy beer.

I did a hoppy wheat beer last summer based on New Glarus Crack’d Wheat with Amarillo and Cascade that I really liked, it was lower gravity and fermented with a Hefeweizen strain though.

Pitching two packs of yeast would be a good idea for such a high gravity beer, US-05 would be my choice since it does such a good job drying beers out (with so much malt you need to have a low FG or it will taste like a wheat wine).

This was it first in the fermentor.
6.6 lb briess wheat lme
1oz. Williamette
1oz. Amarillo
1oz. Cascade
Above all were for the full boil
0.5oz. Amarillo
0.5oz. Cascade
At 10 minutes left
0.5oz. Amarillo
0.5oz. Cascade
In the last 2 minutes rather than dry hopping for aroma.

Bottled last saturday and tasted good so far!

View attachment 1454465846826.jpg

Back