Wheat Beer w/ Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejays

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering what fruits people would add to a Wheat beer made with Citra hops. It's an extract kit I'll be using.

I'd like to use mixed berries or blood oranges but I'm not sure how they'll work with the citra hops?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd go with the oranges. Be sure to grate some of the peel (or, lots of the peel) for late in the boil.

But, it all depends on what you like. If it were mine, I would keep the hops low so as not to dominate the fruit flavors. Your call.

Cheers,

What qualities would I get from the peel? I've a few small Demi johns so I might play about with a few fruits and see how they go.

Thanks

Blood oranges, mango, pineapple, & apricot are the fruits I'd play around with since they can be complementary to Citra.

A lot of fresh fruits can give you a tart fruit quality. Zest from the skin of lemons or oranges give you a different softer fruit flavor. It would add some complexity to a beer like this.

Like frazier said, I'd just be worried about the fruit overpowering the Citra hops. Use the fruit sparingly or maybe boost the gravity/late hopping levels up a notch.

What's your thoughts on adding some kiwi fruit, along with mango?

To me Citra tastes like pineapple, but I have no idea what flavours pineapple would contribute once fermented.

Back