Wheat Beer ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
i just brewed a wheat ale (now named the Miami Weisse!). Here's the outlook. Its an extract/special beer.
6 lbs. muntons wheat (55% wheat 45% barley)
8oz wheat grains
4 oz crystal 40L
1 oz Hersbrucker at 60 min
Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Yeast
OG 1.052
fermented at 68 f

what do you think about the recipe? did i need to use the wheat grains? or the crystal? i was leary of brewing a beer without grains so i just decided on them at the last minute. yeah, i know whatever it is it'll definately be beer! hahah but maybe my OG is too high for a standard wheat.

sounds nice but it might be lacking some taste. the multons wheat tends to dry stuff out I have found. and at almost 7%abv it should be nice but you will need that extra taste to cover the alcohol I would imagine:mug:

Looks good to me. You don't need the wheat malt, but it can't hurt, and it'll help give you some head retention. The small amount of crystal should give you some sweetness to counteract any dryness from the extract fermenting out too much.

what would your reccomend other than muntons? yeah, this beer seems like it could be really lacking. but then again i've never brewed a german wheat.

Arneba28 said:
sounds nice but it might be lacking some taste. the multons wheat tends to dry stuff out I have found. and at almost 7%abv it should be nice but you will need that extra taste to cover the alcohol I would imagine:mug:

Not sure where the 7% is coming from, I'm getting 5.06 - 5.47% depending on you FG, but I think it looks great. You might not get much from the wheat, but you should get a little flavor from the caramel grain. My second brew was only wheat dme and 1oz of hersbrucker with a german wheat yeast, and it came out pretty good as I recall, actually a favorite among some of my friends. You will have a very nice refreshing brew.

I almost always used muntons when I was brewing extract with no problems, I have also had good results from briess, but got more extract twang from briess. And really with a brew like this, a lot of your flavor and complexity is going to be coming from the yeast strain.

Latest posts

Back