Wheat beer in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I brewed an American wheat kit, and plan on putting it in the keg tomorrow. I noticed last night that it is cloudy. Will it clear up after being kegged and pressureized? Should I do something else to it before or after putting it in a key?

Depending on how long it was fermenting and the yeast that you used, its quite possible there's still a bunch of yeast left in suspension. A lot of that yeast will settle out once you toss it in the fridge, and then you can pull it out with the first pint or so. Of course, a wheat beer is supposed to be a little cloudy, so I'm not sure if you worried that it's cloudy now, or that it might not be after kegging. There are other things that go into cloudiness (amount of starch left over, proteins in solution, etc.) that could also be causing it. I've had trouble keeping my hefes cloudy after kegging if just depending on the yeast, so I've started tossing a little flour into the boil to give me some starch to keep some cloudiness.

I too brewed a wheat beer and it was cloudy when I put it in the keg yesterday. I took a pint today to test, and it was cloudy but I cannot wait till its carbed

Back