Wheat Beer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpzep4

Reaction score
I've brewed two wheat kits from midwest both with dried orange and coriander (1/2 oz) Bottle conditioning the second one now as a matter of fact, a Belgian Wit. Bottom line: They've both tasted like crap. I thought maybe I don't know what it's supposed to taste like but comparing it to Blue Moon or ShockTop, not even close. My sanitation is good, fermentation temps good, etc. I've used Danstar for the first and WhiteLabs Belgian with a starter for the second. I'm really frustrated because I'd like to brew this style (as my wife likes ShockTop) but I can't get it to work out. There's a strange odor and taste about my wheat beers. Not plastic, not band-aid, just not good. had a similar taste when brewing a pumpkin with spices. BTW, 10 minutes boil time. Midwest's Wheat extract is 65% Wheat, 35% barley. Any thoughts or ideas?

Why did you only boil for 10 minutes?

I would suggest Wyeast Belgian Wit yeast fermented at 65-67 degrees. I use it all the time and it comes out great. You also may have issues with water if you're using tap water.

You shouldn't really need to age a Wit beer. It should go from kettle to bottle in two weeks and be ready to drink in a few more weeks. The younger the better.

The spiciness is probably coriander. If you crush it too fine or leave it in your primary, you will have a stronger flavor. Also Belgian yeast leaves off flavors which are good for a traditional wit, but Wayne mentioned that Blue Moon would work better with a chico strain such as Safale US-05. Just some things to consider. You should also check out this thread if you haven't, as it provides some very good information:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/

Good luck on your next brew!

Thanks for the info and the link guys:

Yes the directions called for a 10 minute boil. And it was powder not crushed. As I'm typing I just realized that i really don't know how much i put in:mad:. I added what Midwest sent in the packet. Considering they've sent the wrong hops for my last two kits, that wasn't real smart of me was it? I could have added way more than i needed. Didn't look like more than a tablespoon though. Will be ordering elsewhere next time even though it's a bit more money.

In addition, I did leave coriander in primary because I usually just dump most of my wort directly in to the fermenter. I guess that could be a culprit to this strong flavor in both the pumpkin and the wheats.

On the age thing, I only primary'd for 2 weeks, been in bottles 2 but I'm always impatient to try one or two before 3 weeks of conditioning.

It's been awhile since my last Hoegaarden. Don't remember exactly. Will have to try it again and see if that's more of what I'm tasting.

Thanks for the info and the link guys:

Yes the directions called for a 10 minute boil. And it was powder not crushed. As I'm typing I just realized that i really don't know how much i put in:mad:. I added what Midwest sent in the packet. Considering they've sent the wrong hops for my last two kits, that wasn't real smart of me was it? I could have added way more than i needed. Didn't look like more than a tablespoon though. Will be ordering elsewhere next time even though it's a bit more money.

In addition, I did leave coriander in primary because I usually just dump most of my wort directly in to the fermenter. I guess that could be a culprit to this strong flavor in both the pumpkin and the wheats.

On the age thing, I only primary'd for 2 weeks, been in bottles 2 but I'm always impatient to try one or two before 3 weeks of conditioning.

It's been awhile since my last Hoegaarden. Don't remember exactly. Will have to try it again and see if that's more of what I'm tasting.

You have only 1 issue: wait another 4-6 weeks. Simple. Problem Solved. I have NEVER had a crappy tasting beer after 6-8 weeks in the bottle. Sometimes, before that time frame, my beers taste like SH&^%.

Cheers.

Also, although your post seems to suggest you are trying to figure out why your beer tastes off, the recipes you are using are not similar enough to recreate a ShockTop. Shocktop uses orange, lemon, and lime peels. For hops they use hallertauer, cascade, and willamette. However, the grain profile you have should be fairly close.

I agree with the suggestion to use S-05. Finally, I would be sure to filter out all of the trub. I use a 5 gallon filter bag- it works great. Ferment for 3 weeks in primary, then bottle for 3 weeks.

I don't believe you when you say the instructions called for 10 minute boils. I use midwest supplies kits and I've only seen 60 minute boils. Also, I just looked up their recipe for a Belgian Wit, and it also has a 60 minute boil. The corriander and some of the hops are added with 10 minutes left in the boil, but it's still a 60 minute boil.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/1429/

You have only 1 issue: wait another 4-6 weeks. Simple. Problem Solved. I have NEVER had a crappy tasting beer after 6-8 weeks in the bottle. Sometimes, before that time frame, my beers taste like SH&^%.

Cheers.

This is good for most beers. For wheats and IPA's, the quicker you drink them, the better they taste. 2-3 weeks in the bottle is fine.

I did their Witbier recipe and it came out better than Blue Moon.

Then obviously something is off with my brew. This beer is NOT at all enjoyable at this point. Not too promising with my past experience when this flavor is present. Maybe got a house bug or something. Going to switch to Iodophor for next batch.

I don't believe you when you say the instructions called for 10 minute boils. [/url]
I just realized how hilarious this must have seemed that I would boil a recipe for 10 minutes. I meant I boiled the coriander for the last 10 minutes!

You may be going for a different, more american flavor. + 1 on the s-05 or WLP001. I think you will get a flavor more similiar to what you are looking for.

Then obviously something is off with my brew. This beer is NOT at all enjoyable at this point. Not too promising with my past experience when this flavor is present. Maybe got a house bug or something. Going to switch to Iodophor for next batch.

I just realized how hilarious this must have seemed that I would boil a recipe for 10 minutes. I meant I boiled the coriander for the last 10 minutes!

ohhh.... well the good news is you boiled for an hour, the bad news is that that isn't the problem then.

This is good for most beers. For wheats and IPA's, the quicker you drink them, the better they taste. 2-3 weeks in the bottle is fine.

I completely agree with you, 1884. However, OP has a problem with his beer tasting like crap. The cure: Age it more.

I have made many a wheat beer, and sometimes, they just need more time. I looooove drinking my IPAs and wheats early, but I have also experienced wheats that taste like the end of a rusty battery until I age them for at least 4-5 weeks. Then... heaven.

Anyway, I hope this encourages you OP!

-- does your brew taste more like Hoegaarden???
Finally sampled some Hoegaarden last night and a resounding Yes is the answer. My wit is way more similar in style to this than the others I mentioned. It really showed me how much I have to learn about the different styles of beer

Thanks to this thread and the help I've gotten here I now realize that I was never going to end up with a beer like Blue Moon or ShockTop. Though this recipe I brewed has a much stronger "wheat" taste than the Hoegaarden and is MUCH darker in color (I guess from extract vs. all-grain) it was a welcome relief to realize that my end product is not too far off.

With another week in bottles I expect to have a good drinkable beverage!

My assumption that ShockTop was a traditional Belgian Wit is where I got off-track. Am I correct in assuming that Hoegaarden is a more traditional representation?

Will try again for a "wife beer" and use the other yeast, other hops, etc recommended here and see if I can replicate Shock Top.

Thanks again for the help. Love this forum.

Hoegaarden is widely considered the original "classic" witbeer. But, there are many versions that are all representative of the style. Shocktop is probably within the realm of wits but is definitely on the fringes due to the multiple citrus peel additions and the 3 different types of hops. AHBS sells a clone recipe... http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=11820 But I cannot vouch for it because I never tried it. I have one of my own creations in the fermenter now that I think may be close to shocktop, but I won't know for another month.

Latest posts

Back