Wheat beer fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMatt

Reaction score
Yesterday I started a wheat beer and pitched a 1 Liter starter of wyeast 3068 into the 5 gallons of wort at 70 degrees. I transferred it to my brew closet and realized the ambient temps there are pretty consistent at 55 degrees. I thought this was too cold for this yeast strain however today it has started. Not as big as I have seen this strain go in the past but fermenting none the less. I can move it to another closet that is around 62 degrees but should I? Are there risks in a ten degree temperature jump after 24 hours? Can this strain hang at this low temp and what would be the risks?

Thanks,

Matt

I think you will be happy with your result. I would give it two days at the cooler temp at least. After that, move it into the warmer closet to ensure you get complete attenuation.

This will be good and you will limit the banana flavor that can be overpowering with this yeast.

I would give it two days at the cooler temp at least. After that, move it into the warmer closet to ensure you get complete attenuation.

One of my best-tasting weizens with 3068 was fermented at 60F ambient for two weeks. Heavy on the clove, but excellent flavor.

Back