Wheat and chill haze...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_Swillery

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I'll drink a good beer with chill haze any day, it doesn't bother me. I'm just curious...

The short of it: Does any amount of wheat contribute enough to chill haze to make it noticible?

Long of it:

I brewed the Magic Hat #9 clone, all grain, out of one of the clone books. Its been in the bottle only 6 days but I couldn't wait, put one in the fridge last night and after the first sip SPRINTED to the closet and threw two more in the fridge. Great beer, carbonation is very good already. This is the first beer I've had chill haze in, extract or all grain, since getting back into brewing. When I was in brewing before (10 years ago) I always had chill haze but still made some very tasty beer.

There was only 6 oz of white wheat in the recipe, 8 lbs 12oz Maris Otter, and 8 oz of Crystal 60. I don't have the recipe handy so I cannot tell you how much hops off hand but it calculated out to approximately 25 IBU. I added Irish Moss and yeast nutrient during the last 15 min, as I have been doing. Wyeast 1056. It spent 28 days in the primary and I added 5 oz of apricot flavoring at bottling. 1.058 SG and 1.008 OG. Good body, nice beaded carbonation, low but lasting head.

This is the first time I've used wheat in an all grain recipe.

It may be yeast in suspension

I always have trouble getting clear beer with 1056 as it has a low flocculation

Back