What's your least favorite style and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonedef131

Reaction score
I love all the styles, some more than others...but I truly do enjoy a well made example of every BJCP style. Currently I am going through and brewing every style there is and some I can't wait to get to...but there is one I just really have no interest in making. Witbier.

It's not that I don't like it, because I have had some fine witbiers that I did enjoy a great deal...I just have never found myself ordering a second one. There is something about the overall phenolic/peppery sensation just doesn't invite me back for more. I am thinking that if I make a batch of Witbier the keg is going to last for like a year since I never find myself just having to have a Wit.

So I am not asking if there is a style you hate and to just smash on it...but what style just doesn't do it for you?

As far as brewing 5 gallons, I'd say the wheat varieties I've tried. Also barley wines. It's not that I don't like them, I just don't need 5 gallons laying around.

edit: Also, probably anything in the fruity/vegetable categories. I just don't want 5 gallons around. One offs would be fine to try.

edit again: Forgot sour beer was a style. Not for me.

edit again: American Light Lager. Again, not my thing.

Ranking: Sour Beers win because I genuinely do not like them. Hawk ptewey! Don't care for ALL, but can choke down if necessary to save a life. Others I just don't want a full batch.

I don't know if SA Cranberry Lambic is a good representative of 17F but if so this is a style I don't foresee myself exploring.

As far as brewing 5 gallons, I'd say the wheat varieties I've tried. Also barley wines. It's not that I don't like them, I just don't need 5 gallons laying around.

You bottle barley wines. You drink one every couple of months or so and by the time you're done with the batch, you've aged the few remaining bottles gracefully. It isn't a style you brew 3 times a year, but they have their place.

IIPA. I have yet to find one that doesn't taste like hops tea. If I drink one, it feels like the enamel on my teeth is being dissolved, then my palate shuts down. And I'm a guy who likes to drink beer. So if I drink IIPA, the next six beers go by untasted, because my mouth is still numb from the hops-shock! ;) And after three bottles I'm totally gonzo, because it's 8%+ ABV.

So yeah, you can keep the IIPA. I'll sit over here with my pint o' bitter or mild, and work on Imperial pint #5 of tasty, flavorful beer. :D

Bob

I don't know if SA Cranberry Lambic is a good representative of 17F but if so this is a style I don't foresee myself exploring.
It's not, at all. Please don't miss out on this style because of that abortion of a beer. The range of experimentation within 17F is almost limitless...yet Sam Adams still managed to fail at an unbelievable level.

I don't care for overly hopped beers, but I am not sure if IPA's really fall into that style. It has been a long time since I have had an IPA and probably stopped drinking them because of that. I think I will stop tonight for a nice IPA just to see if that was why.
I don't really like "dark" beers much either, at least not for having more than one. I now have learned my lesson not to be tempted by "winter" "Christmas" beers. They have always been dark, didn't know that.
I like Belgian and Wheat beers.

I don't really like "dark" beers much either, at least not for having more than one.

Drink a pint of Moose Drool Brown Ale with a blindfold on, and see how you feel about "dark," beers. Dark is a shade, not a style or a flavor.

For me, it's any over the top hop-bomb. I like a nice IPA or IIPA from time to time, but I really have to be in the mood for them. That doesn't keep me from brewing them and keeping them on hand though. A good homebrew is like a good woman. Sometimes you might be in the mood for one type, sometimes another, but I like 'em all.

Drink a pint of Moose Drool Brown Ale with a blindfold on, and see how you feel about "dark," beers. Dark is a shade, not a style or a flavor.

That is why I wrote "dark" as I was not sure how to put it to a style. But it is definitely a type/kind of beer and to me has always had a pretty specific flavor I don't really crave and by no means a visual thing.

I never saw heard of that beer before but I will try it if I see it. Must be a good reason you suggest it. Do you know if it is distributed in PA/S NJ area?

That is why I wrote "dark" as I was not sure how to put it to a style. But it is definitely a type/kind of beer and to me has always had a pretty specific flavor I don't really crave and by no means a visual thing.
Is it a "roasty" flavor maybe? Coffee and dark chocolate flavors often show up in very dark beer. These are often perceived as acrid and burnt tasting to people who are very sensitive to bitterness.

I really don't know where it's distributed, but it comes from Missouri. It's a great brown ale, nice and malty, a touch of sweetness, but it has a definate hop presence to balance things out. Drinking it, you'd think it would very very light, but it's a dark reddish brown, close to black. Sooooo tasty. :D

I never saw heard of that beer before but I will try it if I see it. Must be a good reason you suggest it. Do you know if it is distributed in PA/S NJ area?

If you have the opportunity please pick up Yards Brawler. It is a fantastic dark mild when enjoyed at basement temperatures. Yards is from Philly so you should be able to find it.

Is it a "roasty" flavor maybe? Coffee and dark chocolate flavors often show up in very dark beer. These are often perceived as acrid and burnt tasting to people who are very sensitive to bitterness.

Yeah, that kind of describes the taste I guess. Burnt tasting? I would say probably. I drink coffee almost every day and can eat some chocolate but if I never ate chocolate again it would be ok with me and coffee is my morning drink not my evening drink. I guess they just are not "refreshing" to me.

Let me see, I now have to retry an IPA, compare Coors Light to Blue Moon and try a couple new recommended "dark" beers. Sounds like a mission I am up for. :mug:

It's not, at all. Please don't miss out on this style because of that abortion of a beer. The range of experimentation within 17F is almost limitless...yet Sam Adams still managed to fail at an unbelievable level.

Okay, that made me laugh out loud! I'll have to reserve judgment until I've had a few other (or actual) examples of the style.

I don't like stouts and porters. There is something to them that just completely overpowers my palate with unpleasantness, plus they tend to upset my stomach for some reason.

I've tried a few different wee heavy/scotch ales (McEwan's, etc) and I just can't drink them. They're just too sweet and cloying for me.

For me, it's anything in the overblown genre of overhopped brews........the fad (I hope it's a fad anyway) of just tossing a bunch of random hops into a recipe, giving it a stupid name, and calling it an IPA, IIPA, IIIPA, or I to 8th PA. Hmmmm, I want to make my own IIIIIPA.....let me see, 13 lbs of two row, 2 ozs of cascade, 2ozs of pearl, 2 oz's of saaz, and 2 ounces of liberty all added at 60 minutes.......oh yeah, let me throw in an ounce of fuggle and an ounce of hallertau for the last two minutes for "aroma". Then we'll dry hop with 4 ozs of kent golding. I'll call it Eric's Wicked Colon Cleansing IIIIIPA Ale.

I don't buy into that crap.........when you feel your teeth dissolving, and the top layer of skin on your tongue flakes off............it's overhopped.

That crap, and the various varities and styles of wheat beers produced by American breweries. They should be shot for pawning that crap off on the public and claiming it to be anything remotely like a traditional Bavarian or Belgian brew.

I do love a good Bock.......Doppel Bock (mmmmmm, doppelbock), well balanced lagers, "genuine" to style wheats, especially belgians........ESB's, and truly love a nice big ice cold mug of oatmeal stout!

Bock and English Barleywine. I like malty beer, but not without some crisp edges.

For me, it's anything in the overblown genre of overhopped brews........the fad (I hope it's a fad anyway) of just tossing a bunch of random hops into a recipe, giving it a stupid name, and calling it an IPA, IIPA, IIIPA, or I to 8th PA. Hmmmm, I want to make my own IIIIIPA.....let me see, 13 lbs of two row, 2 ozs of cascade, 2ozs of pearl, 2 oz's of saaz, and 2 ounces of liberty all added at 60 minutes.......oh yeah, let me throw in an ounce of fuggle and an ounce of hallertau for the last two minutes for "aroma". Then we'll dry hop with 4 ozs of kent golding. I'll call it Eric's Wicked Colon Cleansing IIIIIPA Ale.

I don't buy into that crap.........when you feel your teeth dissolving, and the top layer of skin on your tongue flakes off............it's overhopped.

That crap, and the various varities and styles of wheat beers produced by American breweries. They should be shot for pawning that crap off on the public and claiming it to be anything remotely like a traditional Bavarian or Belgian brew.

I do love a good Bock.......Doppel Bock (mmmmmm, doppelbock), well balanced lagers, "genuine" to style wheats, especially belgians........ESB's, and truly love a nice big ice cold mug of oatmeal stout!

S**T man Relax, that's the great thing about beer, there is something for everyone. If you don't like it then don't drink it, no need to slam it. I'm curious to hear what beers of this "Genre" you've had.

On the subject, I'm not a fan of fruit beers.

Unbalanced sweet beer is the devil and sadly there are many breweries that still feel the need to under attenuate or pump their brews up with too much crystal. 1.020 is at the edge of reason for beers that should be in the mid to low teens. I also can't stand overly bitter beers of any sort including Pale ale, IPA, Amber, Hoppy Stouts are low in my book. Can't they make beer balanced or is everyone worried that they have to blend in and not be unique?

And I will never brew a banana lager...just can't do it.

I tell everyone that says this to try and make an IPA that has less bittering and more Dry hopping. My Pliny the Middle Child is in balance at around 50 IBU's at 1.070. It makes for a very drinkable IPA that doesn't remove enamel.

I don't like stouts and porters. There is something to them that just completely overpowers my palate with unpleasantness, plus they tend to upset my stomach for some reason.

As mentioned before, Stouts and Porters have a lot of roast and bitter sometimes. Have you had luck with Brown Ale's that use much less roasty malts?

Anything with fruit or spices or coffee or chocolate or pumpkin or anything else like that in it.

Also not a big fan of the scotch heavy's like McEwan's as mentioned earlier. Not sure why.

I love all the styles, some more than others...but I truly do enjoy a well made example of every BJCP style. Currently I am going through and brewing every style there is and some I can't wait to get to...but there is one I just really have no interest in making. Witbier.

It's not that I don't like it, because I have had some fine witbiers that I did enjoy a great deal...I just have never found myself ordering a second one. There is something about the overall phenolic/peppery sensation just doesn't invite me back for more. I am thinking that if I make a batch of Witbier the keg is going to last for like a year since I never find myself just having to have a Wit.

So I am not asking if there is a style you hate and to just smash on it...but what style just doesn't do it for you?

Even if Holy Symas were to descend from the 8th Orb, accompanied by twelve winged mantics, and insist on an answer, I could not tell him my least favorite beer. I will refrain from asking why we're concerned about what we don't like, instead of what we DO.

I was going to say something about extremely sour beers, but even then I'd try anything in that style at least once.

I think the style I personally despise is the traditional American Lager/Light Lager. I don't like BMC, I would never brew a clone of BMC, etc...

No offense to any of you who like that style, but it's not my bag.

A fellow employee of mine made a Berliner Weisse, my god was it sour. Tasted sort of like lemonade, but without sugar. I'm sure it was an excellent representation of the style and very well-brewed, but was too damn sour for me.

Oh, and really mild British ales like Boddingtons and things like that. Don't really do it for me.

I would probably never make a Belgian, I don't want people yelling at me but I just really don't like the style all that much. I've probably never had a good belgian but the few that I have had tasted like rotton fruit.

I would probably never make a Belgian, I don't want people yelling at me but I just really don't like the style all that much. I've probably never had a good belgian but the few that I have had tasted like rotton fruit.

The biggest problem I have with Belgian beers is sometimes when I get up to go to the bathroom, I find I did. Deceptively strong, some of them are.

Wheat beer in general. I also had a lienenkugel honey weiss this weekend and couldn’t have finished it without lighting up a dark cigar and scorching my taste buds first

I doubt I'll ever make a cream ale. No real interest in brewing the style, but I really don't discount any style flat out, because there are always exceptions to these rules. I've even had light lagers that were good, although it isn't something I buy regularly. You just have to find the exceptions in categories like that.

Following up Yooper's love hate relationship, I go the the other way. I am a big fan of the wheat beers and cannot stand Hop bombs. I like a little bit of hops but IPA's are just too much.

I can honestly say I love all styles of beer, some a lot more than others. However, two styles that jumped into my head right away were Coffee Stouts and Kolsch.

Its not that I hate Kolsch, I just don't see the point really...

I also fall into the category of people that likes something about every type of beer I drink...

that said, what is with dutch lagers like heineken? I haven't had a ton of dutch lagers, but of the ones i've had i haven't found anything interesting at all. And I'll add pilsners to the group. Don't hate them, but ten times out of ten I'll take a belgian strong ale, stout, or porter instead.

Back