What's your house strain(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defrandj1

Reaction score
I've always used Cali and American ale yeast, through some other here and there. Now, my house strains are San Diego Super for my pale's and London ale for my malty beers. How about you?

I always have some us-05 on hand, pretty much my go to for alot of the stuff I brew. However I do keep several Belgian strains around as well, 3711 for saison and wlp 550 for most other Belgians I brew. If I brew anything else it's a trip to the lhbs

I WOULD SAY THE wlp 001 CA Ale and Belgian Wit 400 and 410

Well...these are the ones ive been using a bit more recently
WY3711
WLP566
Gigayeast Conan
YB Brett Amalgamation
YB Wallonian Farmhouse
WLP585
WY1007
RVA-263
Omega Saisonstein's Monster
WLP004
WY3864
WY3463
WY1318

I've used US-05 exclusively up until my last batch - my first time using liquid yeast. I bought a vial of Yeastbay's Vermont Ale yeast (Conan, the Alchemist) and grew it into 6 mason jars before before brewing. Made a 2L starter from one of the jars before bewday. That yeast smells dreamy lol - like a peachy, tangy fruit bread.

I'm 10 days into the strain's first fermentation and I already want to keg and guzzle the batch!! It really plays on citrusy hops. I'll be tasting a gravity sample again tonight and I can't hardly wait.

Cheers

I have used a bit of this and that, but I suppose I use Wyeast Labs 1272 American Ale II more than anything. I was definitely pushing its upper temp range this summer due to no active temp regulation, but even fermenting at 72°, I was very happy with it. However, I like it at about 67-68°, if I can.

BRY-97, US-05, S04 are my mains for ales. BRY-97 is my house pale strain. Just starting to get into lagers and need to figure out which will be sticking around. I have mexican, german, czech and a few others i got on sale from a local store that ended up getting a screwed up yeast shipment and sold them off for $4 each.

I'm a white labs guy since I live local to them in SD.
Hoppy/ american- WLP090 SD Super
English/ Big beers- WLP023 Burton Ale
Belgian- WLP530 I do want to experiment with 540 though

Mine have evolved to these:

1217 my new fave for hoppy beers (but due to poor planning I'm out! waiting for 2015 release)
Pacman

still trying to settle on a house Belgian

While I use a number of different yeasts from time to time, my house yeasts are:

US-05

I use WLP001 for the majority of my beers. Been meaning to try the turbocharged version. Really the only one I've kept on hand so far. Keep taking too long of breaks inbetween lagers to keep any yeast there, same with stouts and keeping an English ale yeast on hand. I've been enjoying WLP005 a lot though for my darker beers. My personal preference is minimal yeast flavor in my beers, so WLP001 goes great for most.

WY3068
Chimay

Those do everything, I just adjust the temps to make them work for what I'm making. I still try new yeasts, but so far they haven't been beaten.

Belle Saison when it's hot, US-05 when it's not. Absolutely love having a yeast where I can just go "eh, whatever" then it's fermenting in the 90's but wouldn't want to drink saisons all year round.

RVA Yeast Labs Chico Ale is one of my staples. I know I don't have to make a starter but I always do and pull off a half pint or so and put it into a sterilized mason jar so I have some for the next brew day.

I have been using Conan (either giga yeast or stepped up from Heady Topper) in almost everything for the past year (except lagers).
Obviously great in APA's and IPA's which I brew a lot of.

But, also really good in:
Amber Ale
Brown Ale
Porter
Stout
Blonde ale

Brewed a really good British Dark Mild with it.
Probably will try a british bitter with it too.

I have bought almost no yeast in the past year as I have been able to get a good 20-25 beers off of one initial pitch of yeast.

Pretty fond of 2278 for lagers as I tend to brew Czech Pils, Scwarzbier, Czech Amber Lagers.....
2124 or 2042 (danish lager) would be the other lager yeasts I would consider for a "House" lager strain.

05, Belle Star and T58 typically in the fridge, for ease of use. When I go liquid I like 001 and Belgian Abbey strains like 500. I am hoping to get into lagers this year and trying out 34/70 and 23.

I have a decent yeast bank of strains.

WLP 001
us05 (though i am phasing out the 05 and using only 001)
WLP002 english
WLP550 Belgian
Yeast cultured from odell mercenary
WLP 655 belgian sour mix
WLP 630 Berliner Weisse
S04 but phasing this out as well in favor of 002
Conan strain / "Vermont Ale"

:mug:

Back