Whats your homebrew for St Pattys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvisinho

Reaction score
Anyone prepping for a st pattys brew?

kits or some simple recipes?

I was considering a simple red but i still need to get this bourbon stout done.

I am on it!

image.jpg

Just unpacked my Imperial Stout kit last night and it states a 4 month time frame as well as being a bit complicated. I'm gonna stick to the NB Slob as my first brew next weekend. Then I'll be doing an IPA then the IS.

Several bottled: Roased Vanilla Stout, American Brown, Hoppy Mirror Blonde and a few others). Saturday will be brewing an Irish Red.

Cheers!

Getting ready to start either a 6 or 3 gallon batch of my hopped saison cyser which will be ready in plenty of time for st pattys day

Getting ready to start either a 6 or 3 gallon batch of my hopped saison cyser which will be ready in plenty of time for st pattys day

Hopped Saison Cyser?!?!?!? Please tell me more about this wonderful-sounding beverage!!!

I made an adaptation of NBs Irish Draught Ale Kit for St. Pattys (and for a red ale competition this weekend), but I want to knwo more about this Saison cyser

I did a left handed milk stout on Christmas day that should be aged nicely.

Hopped Saison Cyser?!?!?!? Please tell me more about this wonderful-sounding beverage!!!

I made an adaptation of NBs Irish Draught Ale Kit for St. Pattys (and for a red ale competition this weekend), but I want to knwo more about this Saison cyser

Tastes like a nice witbier with a hint of apple. Originally planned on dry hopping after fermentation but, since I messed up on my hop additions, I think it will overpower the apple taste. Right now I think it's just the right amount of hops. I want to tweak the recipe a little. Going to make a 3 gallon batch tonight. Also going to test a red radish saison tomorrow if I can make it to my lhbs before it closes today to grab some dme.

The hopped saison cyser is water, honey, apple juice, centennial hops and belle saison. Once I get it exactly where I want it, I'll post the recipe for everyone. Next after the radish, I've got some trappist yeast on the way to test a Crispin the Saint clone I have in my head.

BB Irish stout kit. Got lazy lol. Wanted to do a red and decided the kit was just easier. Hopefully I'll still have some of my esb by then

A long with the 3 gallon batch of hopped saison cyser I started yesterday, I'm thinking of ordering an Irish red BIAB kit from Northern Brewer.

Here's my Irish Red. I started a batch last weekend, and it should be done by St. Patrick's Day. It's in the same vein as Smithwick's, Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale, or even Killians (except smoother and more roast than Killians).

We do this pretty frequently and it's consistent. It's pretty smooth and malty, no hop aroma at all. It has a little fruitiness in the aroma, and a little butterscotch in the aftertaste, in a good way. (I hate sounding like a pretentious beer snob, but that seems accurate!) I attribute most of that to the yeast (WLP004). There is a little bit of bitterness from the roast barley - I wouldn't mind a little more of that almost acrid aftertaste.

I keg this now, and it carbonates in about 2 weeks or less. It really improves with 4 weeks total conditioning time in the fridge. It also tastes better as it warms in the glass. It's right about 5% ABV, and it's good with food.

3 gallons
1.049 OG
1.011 FG

2.5 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs 2-row
10 oz Crystal 10
2 oz Roast Barley
2 oz Special B

5 oz honey (I have done it with and without; it's good either way. If you miss your gravity, use honey to make up the difference.)

.75 oz Willamette 4% at 60 minutes
.5 Willamette 4% at 15 minutes

(I have adjusted the amount for different AA levels. You want about 3 AAUs for bittering, if I understand how that works. Since the late addition is mostly flavor, I keep it the same regardless of the AA% in the hops.)

Whirlfloc at 5 minutes if I remember it

Add honey at flameout

WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Mash at 152-153 for 60 minutes

Ferment at 62-65 for 4 weeks. I have also started it at that temp and then let it free rise to the upper 60s after initial fermentation is done (about a week). I have better temperature control now, so I think I will let it go 3 weeks in the low 60s and then raise it to the upper 60s for a few days to a week. That might eliminate some diacetyl (butterscotch).

I usually hit the OG pretty well. FG is usually 1.010-1.012.

dry irish stout... brewed last weekend, will be kegged and served on nitro in time for st. patricks day.

I bottled up NB's Irish Red Ale last week so it should be nice n' mature by 3/17. Will be bottling up NB's chocolate stout next weekend so that should be good as well. Brewing Conundrum on Monday, so that might make its debut then as well. Should be a great St. Patty's/March Madness this year!

Back