What's your "go to" Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
I've recently been using 1968 as my "house" strain of yeast. It leaves the beer with a nice malt presence, and doesn't thin the beer out too much. It also drops clear in about a week. Just have to ramp up the fermentation temp when the yeast slows down.

What's everyone else's fav?

I've used a truck load of US-05 lately. I'm trying to get the hang of designing my own recipes and it's nice to use something that doesn't screw with me when I'm not looking.

I'm also a Nottingham fan.

most of my house beers are Pale Ales, blondes, IPA's and browns/porters and Nottingham does well on all of them plus I find Nottingham to be much more flocculant than US-05/1056 when bottling conditioning beers and the yeast doesn't get disturbed from the bottom of the bottle when poured like other yeasts. It also washes really easily for using 3-4 generations no problem.

Nottingham! It floculates better an US-05/1056. So, I use in American styles. It finishes dryer than S-04 so it make great porters and stouts.

I just made a mocktober/aletoberfest a low temps and it was pretty convincing.

Did I mention that it is fast too? It was in the keg in 7 days!

Sent from my EGS102 using Home Brew mobile app

1450? Denny's

No its W-yeast #1540. A proprietary blend designed by are equipment manufacturer. It's actually a blend of 1056/1084. they call it Bohemian American Ale yeast, probably named after Bohemian Brewery Importers(BBI)
that made our equipment!!! Cheers!!:mug::mug:

WLP001 for a good while, but I've been using WLP007 way more lately. Both are fine strains.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have tried a variety but Nottingham is always my go to , the Nottingham dry yeast is great to keep hold of on standby as it's versatility is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

001 and 007 in about 60% of my beers. I have also started using a lot of WL Cali V yeast and that is awesome, however it puts off a ton of sulfur smell during fermentation and smells like rotten eggs in the chamber)

I've been using 1217 lately and really like it for the dry, clean beer styles I enjoy. I plan to ride this one out as long as possible since it was limited release!

Wy 3787 trappings high gravity. It can be a lot of different things at different temps. I've been making very dry beers and that yeast helps.

I've been using 1217 lately and really like it for the dry, clean beer styles I enjoy. I plan to ride this one out as long as possible since it was limited release!

Same here. My new go to in pa/ipas

It used to be us-05 for 70% of my brews. I now switched to Mangrove Jacks M44 which is said to be a dry version of Pac-Man yeast and I believe. Super clean and fast fermentation. Just did a Black Rye IPA with it at 1.080 OG and it finished in 5 days. By day 8 it had completely dropped and super clean flavor profile, best for IPAs or Pales.

I have a constant stock of 1007, Nottingham, and just added 3056. Depends on the style, but either 1007 or Nottingham get the job done rather well in any case.

For me its the 1056 American Ale yeast. Most of what I brew is an IPA in the American style of some sort. I do vary the yeast from time to time but am cutting down my experimenting as I know what the yeast profile does, if something is off I know at least it's not the yeast. To me it is a good middle of the road measurable yeast that does not have massive changes if the temperature is off by a few degrees.

Dupont. I know everyone says it's a problem yeast, but I've never had it stick or not finish really fast and really dry.

The answer is kind if both. The yeast, even at low temps, is very assertive, so even beers with grain bills not typically associated with Saisons end up tasting like a saison. That's alright with me, and I certainly use different yeasts when I want a different flavor. But, probably 55% of my brews are traditional Saisons.

Last year, I started using 1272 for everything that needs a clean ale yeast. Love that stuff.

Latest posts

Back