Whats your commute time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your average commute time (one way)

• 0 - 15 minutes

• 16 - 30 minutes

• 31 - 45 minutes

• 46 - 60 minutes

• 61 - 80 minutes

• 81 - 100 minutes

• 101 - 120 minutes

• Over 2 hours each way!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Currently I drive 67 miles each way, anywhere from 75 - 90 mins usually... Sometimes (most of the time) I work 12-15 hours too - definitely getting a little old! ;-)

I'm at 40 min, 25 miles each way..mostly highway

jgln said:
Must be a west coast thing, never heard it called that.

Swmbo is from connecticut, and it's both the packy (package store) and bottle shop

I've now moved and am in the 15-20 minute commute range. I clocked it last week and I believe It's a 16 mile commute 1 way, or 32 mile round trip, which is only roughly 1/4th of my original commute.

It also means I get an extra hour of sleep every morning.

I'm at 40 min, 25 miles each way..mostly highway

Swmbo is from connecticut, and it's both the packy (package store) and bottle shop

Never heard either. Pretty much "liqour store" and that is about it, nothing else comes to mind.

So as I've right now I am one of the 2.90% on here. 1.5 hours each way. Here is my lovely journey if anyone cares. In the morning drive 3 miles to the train station, Take a bus for about an hour to midtown Manhattan. Walk 3/4 of a mile to work. On the way home, Walk 1 mile to Train Station, Wait about 18 minutes for train to leave, Ride 35 minutes on train. Drive 10 minutes home. So if I minus 6 weeks for vacation and bank holidays that's 28.75 full days of commuting a year.

Here is my lovely journey if anyone cares. In the morning drive 3 miles to the train station, Take a bus for about an hour to midtown Manhattan. Walk 3/4 of a mile to work. On the way home, Walk 1 mile to Train Station, Wait about 18 minutes for train to leave, Ride 35 minutes on train. Drive 10 minutes home. So if I minus 6 weeks for vacation and bank holidays that's 28.75 full days of commuting a year.

The commuter rail system into NYC is great. I used to right Metro North...the red line to Port Chester, then Blue to White Plains. When I moved back to New England, I was easily driving 1 hour each way for about 11 years ( 6 of those into Boston ).

Now I'm 17 miles from home and take all back roads to get home. But I do miss the trains from time to time.

Cercueil, I'll be in your boat soon. We're planning to move to Orange County, NY. I'll be looking at 1.5 hours, easily, each way. Do you get used to it?

:mug:

i used to do 2 hours on the bus each way.
my ipod touch got me through it (before the ipad was around)
also got through a lot of good books really fast.

for me it was kind of an extension of the getting ready for work/winding down time. eat breakfast on the bus, read the paper, etc.

I walk from my bedroom over to my laptop, either in the office or living room.

Same here, about 60 ft or so. Still takes me 20 minutes sometimes:D

Before this when I worked in the field, and lived in the East Bay I would commute up to an Hour and a Half, it just depended on what town I was working in. Any more than that and i would get a hotel for the week. Then once I moved up to my new place it was Hotels every week. That made commuting not look so bad.

GFs place or mine (different sides of town) it's about 12-15 miles, so about 30 minutes each way, i leave my house at 6:30 and get to work usually around 6:50-7 and clock in and.... sit in front of my computer

bringing this one back up! I moved 10 minutes further away 2 years ago. So i have been doing a 95 minute commute now for almost 4 years...crazy how routine it can become... thank goodness for the HBT app on the train :mug:

I'll throw my hat into the ring.

8 mins in the morning, 7 minutes to and from lunch (go home every day), 9 mins after work.

Pretty brutal.

My drive time is ~20 in the morning and ~25min in the evening 95% on the freeway. It would probably be faster if we did not have people weaving through traffic making people hit the brakes.

8 mins in the morning, 7 minutes to and from lunch (go home every day), 9 mins after work.
Pretty brutal.

This.... stupid kids at the bus, feral cats and the recent addition of a lumbering whistlepig..... has killed my commute.... now a whole 6 minutes in the morning, 4 at lunch, 5 at end of day (if on the rare occasion I go home at a decent hour) sucks :goat: butt

But to appease you travelers....every week I have to make a run to corporate and stay overnight. I leave at 0430 to get there, and leave there usually at the oh so convenient time of 4 in the afternoon. 2 hours each way. Long. Boring. Drive. Corn. Both sides. oof.

35 minutes, 45 if traffic's bad. 35 miles each way, almost all freeway. I'd move closer if I didn't have so many ties in my hometown.

Another DC area commuter. Luckily I am going latterly form Olney out towards Laurel. The drive is about 25 miles and takes 35-40 minutes depending on if I take the highway or back roads.

The main thing I look for in a commute is determinism. I will take a longer commute if I can count on it always taking that long. I get much more frustrated when a drive all of a sudden takes twice as long because of sun glares or some vehicle with flashing lights on the side of the highway. Due to this I will always try to avoid a job in this are requiring me to on 270 or the beltway during rush hour.

my spring summer fall commute is 45 minutes on an electric bike each way, call it 50 on the way home since it's trending uphill and away from the lake.
winter commute is an hour each way or more taking transit.

About 25-30 min now that I live on the westside. When I lived on the southside, it was more 40min given traffic. Another 5 minutes and I wouldnt have had to take call!

One of the lovely things about living in a small town is my (usually) less than ten minute commute by foot.

Average one way, 55 minutes (34 miles). Worst ever to get home, 5 hours, Coastal Virginia does not do snow very well.

Back