What's wrong with the world imo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whut? You don't know who Mr Dornbusch is?
I guess you must be not into the Weyermann advertising Continental Brewing Tradition!

There was a guy on here a while ago named ismelweird (search the user, read the threads, you won't be disappointed). Every post he made was even more epic than the last. It first started with how he had sewage in his kettle while he was making a cupcake stout (with actual cupcakes).

Somehow I missed the sewage thread. (BTW, it's ismellweird for anyone looking for it.) Now that I have read it, I have to say I'm kind of stunned that after 6 pages of painfully obvious trolling, some people were still offering serious advice.

Even Google failed to enlighten me on who was/is Lottie Karpouzis.
Was/is she/he/they a famous homebrewer with no dedicated page in Wikipedia?

Somehow I missed the sewage thread. (BTW, it's ismellweird for anyone looking for it.) Now that I have read it, I have to say I'm kind of stunned that after 6 pages of painfully obvious trolling, some people were still offering serious advice.
Thanks for the spelling catch... I corrected it.

Gordon Strong is a knowlegable homebrewer who won awards that most of us have never won and probably won’t ever win. Aside from exhaustive work with the BJCP he has also written several books. As far as being a celebrity I dont view him as any more or any less of a celebrity than somebody like a Charlie P or a John Palmer (both of whom also “wrote books”) yet for some reason those guys always receive great publicity and are quoted in posts on here every day. I have no beef with people being well known and even followed when they contribute and share valuable knowlege. Better than following Rhiana or whatever that disaster was at the Super Bowl half time.

Last edited:
Even Google failed to enlighten me on who was/is Lottie Karpouzis.
Was/is she/he/they a famous homebrewer with no dedicated page in Wikipedia?
I can't believe there are people who don't know who Lottie Karpouzis was. A titan of the stitching arts. Co-inventor of the Chakraborty-Karpouzis double leapfrog stitch. The woman who fused needlepoint with cosplay. I remember how she shocked everyone at the world championships in Terre Haute when she appeared in costume as Londo Mollari from Babylon 5. Every stitch of gold thread just so. One of her competitors actually committed suicide before the judging. That's how intimidating she was.

And where, I ask you, is her Wikipedia page? Nowhere. But somehow Madonna has one.

There was a guy on here a while ago named ismellweird (search the user, read the threads, you won't be disappointed). Every post he made was even more epic than the last. It first started with how he had sewage in his kettle while he was making a cupcake stout (with actual cupcakes). Then there was one where he claimed to have had a friendship with Kato Kealin. Then one about him trying to make a barrel out of old pressure treated deck boards to do some barrel aging. Drama about his speech to text program. There are some hilarious back and forths between him and @Jayjay1976 . Sadly, Smelly Melly has stopped posting. Rumor has it, he and Kato ran off together.

I vaguely remember this. This must have been right when I joined this forum or right before. Any of you all remember that dude "TSA (Take Some Advice)? Didn't he get into it with Craigtube? His videos were crazy. Dude sanitized EVERY thing!

Man, those were the days....................

Any of you all remember that dude "TSA (Take Some Advice)? Didn't he get into it with Craigtube? His videos were crazy. Dude sanitized EVERY thing!

Take Some Advice straddled the line between obvious troll and actual nutjob. Some of my favorite youtube moments:

- Taking the first picnic tap pull of a blonde ale (maybe his first batch?), tasting it, and giggling like a three year old, declaring it "Competition Ready!"

- Claiming that dust motes are bacteria (or maybe wild yeast), and exclaiming "Pow! Pow! Pow!" as he plucked at his shirt, liberating them into the air.

- Spending a few hours trying to cool his starter wort, annoyed and perplexed that it wasn't cooling as rapidly as he had calculated.

ETA: I almost forgot... whenever he decided something wasn't true, simply due to personal incredulity, he declared that he has debunked another piece of "Homebrew Internet Lore."

I would probably pay a small subscription fee for another run through those videos.

Last edited:
And where, I ask you, is her Wikipedia page? Nowhere. But somehow Madonna has one.
Madonna and Prince are also in the rock and roll hall of fame (and I’m sorry but that crap ain’t rock and roll) while real rock bands like the Moody Blues were still waiting to be inducted. If you want to talk about something thats really wrong.

Wait - I grew up with The Moody Blues and yes they're considered a rock and roll band (they even have a song about it :D).

But not Prince?

Cheers!

I saw the Moody Blues in HS. Great Concert in a great concert hall. The band that preceded them on stage was a little known group (at the time) called Humble Pie. With both Steve Marriott and Peter Frampton! Their rift had not yet started. Now THAT was a rock band! Oddly enough their fist song was all accoutic with conga drums. It was amazing- Dr John's Walk On Gilded Splinters.

Thanks for keeping the thread civil and non-political so that it didn't get exiled to HBT Siberia. Somehow I didn't see Mel getting pulled into the discussion but that's part of HBT's charm.

A Moody Blues rocker imo:

Last edited:
I saw the Moody Blues in HS. Great Concert in a great concert hall. The band that preceded them on stage was a little known group (at the time) called Humble Pie. With both Steve Marriott and Peter Frampton! Their rift had not yet started. Now THAT was a rock band! Oddly enough their fist song was all accoutic with conga drums. It was amazing- Dr John's Walk On Gilded Splinters.
I saw them about 3 times in the past 5 years. They used to come to a little tiny theater here in PA that doesn’t have 2000 seats. Every member of that band is now over 70. And they weren’t missing anything.

Everybody always talks about the Rolling Stones and their longevity. The Moody Blues have been around literally about 6 months less than the Rolling Stones.

John Lodge is into winemaking now, he has a business selling wine. They haven’t come here now for a couple years, not unexpected with everything going on.

I think Prince's music is pretty awful, and on a personal level, he was an idiot, but before judging his talent, watch him do a guitar solo.
But is he “rock and roll”? Maybe I have a tighter definition of that category than some.

The rock and roll hall of fame has many people who yeah might be talented but I don’t think they fit into the category of rock and roll. Johnny Cash for instance is one of the big names of all time in Country Music. Michael Jackson - really? Same for Madonna, Prince, Cyndi Lauper, on and on. While like I said a number of bands who are real rock bands have not been inducted,

Hard to call something the rock and roll hall of fame when it starts taking in everything thats not rock and roll. Now if they want to call it the POP MUSIC hall of fame, at this point thats probably more appropriate.

I can’t get too worked up about being a rock ‘n’ roll puritan. Billy Joel summed it up pretty well with the end of the last chorus of “It’s Still Rock ‘N’ Roll To Me”.

“It's the next phase, new wave
Dance craze, anyways
It's still rock and roll to me
Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound
Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me”.

Hard to call something the rock and roll hall of fame when it starts taking in everything thats not rock and roll.
It's a for-profit museum. They want to maximize the number of people who will come and pay the price of admission. Including Prince is a recipe for ticking off a few purists. Excluding Prince is a recipe for going out of business.

Agree with whoever above said to just create a Wiki entry. I've never done that, but it's how Wikipedia works.

I think Prince's music is pretty awful, and on a personal level, he was an idiot, but before judging his talent, watch him do a guitar solo.

Exactly. I never really thought of Prince as a rocker until I saw this (holy cow!). He also has a pretty great solo in Purple Rain.

I hear he made pretty good pancakes.
Prince wrote a lot of music for others or picked up by other artists.
One of my all-time favorites is "Nothing Compares to You" performed by Sinead.
He was a talented artist and is deserving of the recognition he has received.
My opinion.

after 6 pages of painfully obvious trolling, some people were still offering serious advice

sometimes it's fun just to toss another log on the bonfire

and if you're gonna mention IsmeLLweird, let's not forget Fred. The drywall thread IIRC.
Classic.

Did you ever notice, while sitting around a camp fire having a couple with friends, people just naturally get up and tend the fire.
It's gotta be some innate survival instinct.
And it goes great with beer!
Pre-guttenberg entertainment.

Did you ever notice, while sitting around a camp fire having a couple with friends, people just naturally get up and tend the fire.
It's gotta be some innate survival instinct.
And it goes great with beer!
camperflag.jpg

Our camper flag.

Back