Whats wrong with my saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abarhan

Reaction score
Here is primary after 2 weeks. What is the floating white crap?

image-755542622.jpg

image-3297006772.jpg

I'll admit that looks like pretty average krausen to me -- it just hasn't yet fallen back. From what I've heard, Saison yeasts are a bit on the whacky side, so it's not all that crazy to see krausen this far into fementation, I suspect.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert.

Looks normal to me.. Each and every fermentation is different, so it is not unusual to have the krausen stick around for a little longer.

Let it sit for another week or two, check the gravity and see where it is at.

What yeast did you use? Some Saison yeasts like to be warmed up to help them finish.

I have a Cream Ale that is fermenting with US-05 that is coming up on 2 weeks and still has a krausen even larger than that... My gravity is down in the FG range so I am just going to wait it out for maybe another week hoping for it to fall out.

It's WLP568 and has been at it for 10 days. A 2 liter starter stirred for 48hrs and well oxygenated. Normal pitching temps and kept in desired range.(65-75). I was going to gradually raise the temp but unsure about film on top, I have never had a surface film last that long, the dubbed next to it was brewed 7 days after and has fallen already. Thanks for any help

The problem is that its a saison. slowly warm it up through the range now that the yeast is done with conversion. This is a style that likes to keep the yeast around a while. I'm thinking at 3 weeks in primary it will have finished, cleaned up well, the krausen will be sitting at the bottom, and will have imparted the flavor you will want out of a good saison farmhouse ale. As Alton Brown says, your patience will be rewarded.

Back