What's with the ice chest coolers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throwinemback

Reaction score
I have been surfing the site for a bit. I've only made two batches of home brew so I'm definitely what you'd call a ROOKIE.

Looking at everyone's brew stands I always see those Coleman camping ice chest coolers in place of fermenters, and carboys (at least from what I can tell).

Enlighten me! What are those being used for? Is that plastic okay for brewing? If they are fermenting then do they seal properly? Seems a bit rinky dink to my inexperienced eye...

Any insight would be appreciated

Mash Tun. Water is heated to ~155*F then crushed grains are added (doughing in), stirred, and left to sit for about an hour to convert starches into fermentable sugars. Used primarily for all grain brewing.

Yeah, the coolers help keep the temperature consistent while the grains convert. Some people use things like old Sanke kegs as their mash tun, but then they usually need some other mechanism to keep them at the proper temp (directly firing them, or some kind of recirculation system through a heat exchanger).

Like they said, you're looking at an all-grain set up versus (what I assume you did) extract brewing equipment.
They both still use fermenters and carboys though.

Thanks guys... insight provided. Sounds like I might use one as a HLT or mash tun

Sooner, what is the difference between "all-grain" and "extract"?

Thanks!

Thanks guys... insight provided. Sounds like I might use one as a HLT or mash tun

Sooner, what is the difference between "all-grain" and "extract"?

Thanks!

"Extract" using malt extract for fermentables. "All-grain" starts with malted grain, and you basically make it all from scratch.

I use spaghetti analogies all the time, but it seems to work. All-grain is like making spaghetti sauce by starting with fresh tomatoes. Extract is like making spaghetti sauce by starting with tomato sauce. You still have to add the spices (hops) and cook it (brew) in both, but the process with the canned tomato sauce means skipping preparing the tomatoes. If you're starting with tomatoes, you've got more steps to do at the beginning!

Kind of like with AG brewing. You have to start with the grain, and make the grain into "sauce" before cooking the recipe.

"Extract" using malt extract for fermentables. "All-grain" starts with malted grain, and you basically make it all from scratch.

I use spaghetti analogies all the time, but it seems to work. All-grain is like making spaghetti sauce by starting with fresh tomatoes. Extract is like making spaghetti sauce by starting with tomato sauce. You still have to add the spices (hops) and cook it (brew) in both, but the process with the canned tomato sauce means skipping preparing the tomatoes. If you're starting with tomatoes, you've got more steps to do at the beginning!

Kind of like with AG brewing. You have to start with the grain, and make the grain into "sauce" before cooking the recipe.

Then the Mr. Beer kits are like opening up a jar of Ragu or Prego? Lol

Great analogy Yoop! very well said...

Then the Mr. Beer kits are like opening up a jar of Ragu or Prego? Lol

spaghettios.jpg

;)

Yeah, the coolers help keep the temperature consistent while the grains convert. Some people use things like old Sanke kegs as their mash tun, but then they usually need some other mechanism to keep them at the proper temp (directly firing them, or some kind of recirculation system through a heat exchanger).

or like I did. insulate the keg to use as the mash tun.

But i did start with the round coleman cooler as my mash tun before i built my brew sculpture.

I have been surfing the site for a bit. I've only made two batches of home brew so I'm definitely what you'd call a ROOKIE.

Looking at everyone's brew stands I always see those Coleman camping ice chest coolers in place of fermenters, and carboys (at least from what I can tell).

Enlighten me! What are those being used for? Is that plastic okay for brewing? If they are fermenting then do they seal properly? Seems a bit rinky dink to my inexperienced eye...

Any insight would be appreciated

This is an awesome post, because I thought the exact same thing when I first looked at those things - rinky dinky is the words you used. I thought of it as super ghetto. Like some wierd post apocalyptic survival mechanism used to extract gasoline from sand - or something along those lines.

I bought a cooler, but I cannot bring myself to make one. I just do BIAB w/sparge using 2 stainless steel pots. It is faster even.

I would have said buying BMC is like buying a can of Spaghetti O's. Buying craft beer is like going to a non-chain Italian restaurant. Mr. Beer and extract brewing are making spaghetti from sauce and paste and All-grain is making spaghetti from raw ingredients like tomatoes.

Doing some more research and I see coolers for sale that say "for cold beverages only." I assume that means it cannot handle the temps for a MLT. How do I know if it can or not?

yeah buy a copy of that book it's good reading. I had to buy a copy for school and it's the only book i will never re sell

Buy the new book! It is worth it and revised to take out or explain the out of date information in the online 1st edition. I also recommend The Complete Joys of Homebrewing and the Brewmaster's Bible. After these three you will have it down enough to buy Designing Great Beers, which is my favorite. Of course, you could always just hang out here and use the search function reading thousands of threads and get most of that info... but those books you will never throw away!

Back