What's this white film on my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivo_

Reaction score
I have a batch currently aging in the secondary. It's been in there three or four weeks, and I normally keep it covered up with a towel. I recently took the towel off to look at it, and found that there is a while film with bubbles floating on top of the beer.

I took some pictures, sorry they're not real clear, it's hard to get a good shot through the condensation.
It doesn't look like pictures of infections that I've seen before but I don't know what else it could be from.
This is the kit I am making, if it matters. I was thinking it might also have something to do with the oak cubes? I don't know.

IMG_2991.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

Hard to tell from the pics. Could go either way. When you say you're keeping it covered with a towel, is that in place of an air lock, or just to keep light out? If you don't have an air lock, then I'd say that's just asking for an infection. If the oak cubes weren't sanitized, there's a chance they could introduce an infection. I'd wait a week and see if the film develops any more. Either way, there's nothing you can do at this point except wait and see. If it is infected, the only choices you have are a) carbonate CAREFULLY and drink quickly, b) age it and see if it turns into a nice sour beer, or c) dump it.

When you say you're keeping it covered with a towel, is that in place of an air lock, or just to keep light out?

Just to keep light out. There is an airlock on the carboy. I only mentioned that to explain how it got this far with out me noticing.

Also, regarding the oak cubes; they were soaking in bourbon for a month before I added them to the secondary, so I assumed that that would sanitize them well enough.

Sorry, that's infected:(

If you soaked the oak in bourbon for a month it most likely is not the cause but who knows..............

So does everyone think that this is Brett or is it bacterial?

So does everyone think that this is Brett or is it bacterial?

I don't know what it is, but it will not kill you. Might make an interesting beer.

It could be Brett from the oak. Even though the oak was soaked in Bourbon, Brett and other bugs can get deep inside the wood and may not have been in contact with the bourbon.

Back