What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Magic Hat cucumber hibiscus. It just didn't work for me. I got half a bottle down and gave up. I was going to pour it down the sink but was afraid it would eventually end up in a river somewhere and I couldn't do that to the fish.

I tried to give it to some homeless guy under the overpass but he took one sip and threatened to call the cops because I was trying to poison him.

So I dug a hole in the yard and poured it in. Then I lit it on fire. Then I buried it.

Then I buried the shovel.

Magic Hat cucumber hibiscus. It just didn't work for me. I got half a bottle down and gave up. I was going to pour it down the sink but was afraid it would eventually end up in a river somewhere and I couldn't do that to the fish.

I tried to give it to some homeless guy under the overpass but he took one sip and threatened to call the cops because I was trying to poison him.

So I dug a hole in the yard and poured it in. Then I lit it on fire. Then I buried it.

Then I buried the shovel.

Now I've got to try it...

I think The Bruery deserves a nod for 5 Golden Rings. It was aweful. Plain and simple. I will make some allowance for the fact that the creativity factor for endeavoring to make a beer for each day of 12 Days of Christmas and the constraints that come with that feat, but that beer was aweful.

In the same token The Lost Abbey Gift of the Magi was pretty bad too. Frankensense and murr do not belong in beer.

I tired Shipyard Mint Chocolate stout at a local restaurant and it is absolutely god awful! It smelled like spearmint gum after it's been stuck on a shoe for a week and tasted like it was fermented in a bathtub full of CoolMint Listerine.

Horrid Wretched Absolute Crap!! Did I mention Discusting?

How are they still in business?

Pocahoptas IPA from Center of the Universe Brewing in Ashland, VA. I drain poured the first one and anyone who knows me would be amazed to see me dump an IPA. I thought maybe I got a bad one so I tried again a few weeks later and had the same result. I've found it to be the case with all their beer. I think it must be a water thing. They get high marks from other people so maybe it's just my palate.

Old World Brewery - Irish Red. I know it's supposed to be the old recipes, but if it tastes bad then do not sell it.
Worst modern, Abita - Pecan Harvest. Tasted like gravy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Home Brew mobile app

Pocahoptas IPA from Center of the Universe Brewing in Ashland, VA. I drain poured the first one and anyone who knows me would be amazed to see me dump an IPA. I thought maybe I got a bad one so I tried again a few weeks later and had the same result. I've found it to be the case with all their beer. I think it must be a water thing. They get high marks from other people so maybe it's just my palate.

It must be something about your palate. I enjoy all of their beers. Can you put your finger on what flavor puts you off?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

It must be something about your palate. I enjoy all of their beers. Can you put your finger on what flavor puts you off?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

It's a sort of mineral/metallic flavor. It's most pronounced in the IPA but I taste it in their other beers too. Like I said, lots of people love their beer so it's just something that I'm picking up in it.

+1 on the Voodoo doughnut maple bacon disaster thingy... however, it made a nice adjunct in my chili recipe. Also Grand Teton's "***** Creek" ....also good for marinating chicken.

Battered Boar Company man. Only undrinkable commercial beer I've ever had. I'm not talking about getting a bad bottle here, I mean undrinkable because the brewery put it out that way.

Finally tried a Sam Adams Cold Snap the other day. Didn't get any fruit or spice notes at all, very blah. Maybe it was an old keg or my taste buds were off as I've heard others that liked it.

Sam Adams Rebel IPA. I tried a bottle the other day.

It wasn't very rebellious at all.

Not the worst, as I reserve that for anything from Saranac. It was just disappointing for an IPA.

Southern tiers pumking. I had it on tap and tasted its buttery mess. Thinking I had just got dirty lines I tried a bottle 2 hours later I had powered through a bomber and deeply regret it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Southern tiers pumking. I had it on tap and tasted its buttery mess. Thinking I had just got dirty lines I tried a bottle 2 hours later I had powered through a bomber and deeply regret it.

Must have gotten an off bottle as well lol. I've had it many times and would never give it a buttery review. To each his own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Magic Hat #9 with apricots. just the most offputting beer i have ever had. Actually pretty much anything by magic hat is just not good. At least to my palate. Anything with pumpkin/pumpkin spice can be a really hit or miss situation. I've had really good ones and extremely bad ones. Man i got a four pack of this stuff the other day called "Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale" sounded interesting enough and the company also makes a decent banana bread ale, but MAN it was terrible. I couldn't finish a 12 oz bottle. Luckily my wife liked it. Tasted like a flat new castle with that ****e that they flavor seasonal coffees with. Cant do it man cant do it.

Wanted it for the name and label, didn't hear much about the beer before two days ago. This wasn't a sink dumper but it was definitely not good. Ashy, charcoal taste that just wouldn't go away. Which was weird because I couldn't pick it up in the smell.

1394932352132.jpg

I hate all of hangar 24 beers.
There is no OOMF, its just hops, in everything... blah.
They are good beers for people who like light and hoppy, but so boring.

I have to agree. This years was not very good. Way too much vanilla and overpowered on everything. Had 2 bottles and left the other one to age until 2014 comes out to see if it gets better and to compare them.

Yeah man not sure if you had a bad batch or what... I live in the RVA and that's one of my favorite craft IPA's

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Honestly, I've seen them everywhere now so people must love them, but I got a 12 pack sampler of 3 beers from Ska Brewing with True Blonde Ale, Modus Hoperandi IPA, and esb Special Ale and thought they were all absolutely terrible.

I recently bought two bottles of Anchor Bock, and I managed to gag down the first one but I'm going to have to figure out something else to do with the second. It's so bad, I don't want to give it to anybody I know. It's just this nasty malt/tar flavor that lingers for minutes in the back of your throat. I'm guessing I may have gotten some expired bottles (no date code on them that I can find), because I can't believe that a brewery like Anchor could produce something so bad.

Cambridge Brewing Company, visited Boston and went there. Had a smoked pumpkin ale on tap... first beer I left unfinished at a restaurant ever.

Really? Bear Republic sucks and everything they make? I think we know who sucks? HopRod Rye was one of the most inspiring beers Ive ever had a few years ago. I guess I would suck for saying that to one or two people but not thousands that like good beer. ? :confused: Sounds like some people need to venture their palate a little. This thread makes me laugh though. I wouldn't take half the advice on it. Im no expert but damn, a lot of hate on some decent beers half the time.

Everyone has different tastes and preferences. 90% or more of the people on this site don't care for BMC. Yet, like we all know, those three companies are still in business and sell a crap ton of beer. Like what you like and other people will like what they like.

Ok someone will say Pliny was terrible worst beer ever. Total letdown drainpour.:rolleyes: Shure, if you hate/despise hoppy beer. Someones opnion,not mine. I think some people might be victim of poor storage conditions also half the time. Everyones entitled to say what they want though. Some just seem ridiculious. Worst?

Really? Bear Republic sucks and everything they make? I think we know who sucks? HopRod Rye was one of the most inspiring beers Ive ever had a few years ago. I guess I would suck for saying that to one or two people but not thousands that like good beer. ? :confused: Sounds like some people need to venture their palate a little. This thread makes me laugh though. I wouldn't take half the advice on it. Im no expert but damn, a lot of hate on some decent beers half the time.

I love BR's Red Rocket

Sent from my XT1049 using Home Brew mobile app

Everyone has different tastes and preferences. 90% or more of the people on this site don't care for BMC. Yet, like we all know, those three companies are still in business and sell a crap ton of beer. Like what you like and other people will like what they like.

But this the point of the thread...to name what you don't like.

Sent from my XT1049 using Home Brew mobile app

Back