What's the "weirdest" ingredient you've used?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure it would be considered strange but. I've used red, yellow, and black Currents, Italian Plum, White Sage, Squid ink, Roses, Hibiscus, Tigerlily, Dandelion heads, Guava leaf, lavender, homegrown tobacco
On what you used the squid ink? Im about to use it in a gose and would love to read about other people experiences

Stamens of Pohutakawa tree in a brett Saison. pohutakawa.jpg

I've thought about adding some cereal (Fruity Pebbles or Trix maybe) to the mash of a pale ale or ipa. Haven't tried it yet, maybe some day. Back home in upstate NY there's a small brewery that every fall brews a pumpkin beer where they dump several baked pumpkin pies directly into the mash.
Someone did a Froot Loops whiskey/ brandy on the HD forum. I’ve wanted to do a Fruity Pebbles mash since I learned what mashing was. My favorite cereal of all time, even now as an adult I buy it for me on occasion, and hope I get some before the kids make it all disappear!
City Steading did a Froot Loops Mead too, using a lemongrass tea base. I think it could be really good maybe with a few additional light citrusy fruits too.

I think maybe distillers malt, when I was trying to make up for no 6 row in CAPs and I also did not know what I was doing.. kind of boring, I know, [;

Last edited:
I don't do any wierd stuff but, check out Cock Ale in the New Complete Joy of Home Brewing.
It calls for a whole rooster! Muddled until bones are smashed! Says, the older the rooster, the better! WOW! Now, if that don't take the cake, I don't know what will!
Doin’ The Most on YouTube did this for a video. Seemed to come out ok, but eeeeewwwww! Lol

Doin’ The Most on YouTube did this for a video. Seemed to come out ok, but eeeeewwwww! Lol
I just found the video and I'm definitely going to watch it! Something else that's kind of weird to me is it looks like a whole bunch of other people have done it too. I don't know why but, I never thought of simply looking on youtube! Duh!

Back