What's the smallest co2 bottle available?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennypapa

Reaction score
I live in fear of loosing all my co2 to a leak. I wonder if a small bottle could be used in conjunction with a larger bottle to minimize the potential loss.

So, what is the smallest bottle available either off the shelf or hacked/repurposed?

Any ideas on how to connect it?

Thanks,
Ben

I can't imagine how one would plumb a big tank to a small tank to a gas system in a way that everything wouldn't still end up empty if leaks aren't fixed.

Find the leak(s), fix the leak(s).
It really isn't a space shuttle launch...

Cheers!

I can't imagine how one would plumb a big tank to a small tank to a gas system in a way that everything wouldn't still end up empty if leaks aren't fixed.

Find the leak(s), fix the leak(s).
It really isn't a space shuttle launch...

Cheers!

I was thinking a tee hooked to both bottles (each with its own shutoff) and a regulator on the 3 rd leg of the tee or a distribution block if you needed multiple regulators for different pressure branches for the system.

I'd also be able to take just the small bottle with me to parties.

Possible?

I was thinking a tee hooked to both bottles (each with its own shutoff) and a regulator on the 3 rd leg of the tee or a distribution block if you needed multiple regulators for different pressure branches for the system.

I'd also be able to take just the small bottle with me to parties.

Possible?

It's possible to have a small tank for back up, or to take easily to parties. But you don't want to rig it together.

The best thing to do, is to pressure test your system. There's really no reason why you should lose CO2 if you check your kegs, use keg lube, and inspect your seals.

Besides that, if you are paranoid about leaks, just shut off the CO2 unless you are carbonating or serving a lot of beer. If you have the CO2 on, try to turn it on just for the keg you are carbonating or serving.

That's what I do now. I leave it off unless carbonate ing or serving.

Yooper said. "It's possible to have a small tank for back up, or to take easily to parties. But you don't want to rig it together."

Why not?

I've been there. I've lost a 20lb tank because I forgot to check for leaks. Overall, I think I still come out ahead because it's way more expensive to fill a 5lb more often than it is to fill the 20lb.

I've been there. I've lost a 20lb tank because I forgot to check for leaks. Overall, I think I still come out ahead because it's way more expensive to fill a 5lb more often than it is to fill the 20lb.

I have a 20#tank so I think I'll look into a setup to recharge a paintball tank. That way i can be portable when i need to and i can run my home system off the small tank between charges case of a leak.

Im off to research homemade solutions to refill paintball tanks.

Thank you all

I have a 20#tank so I think I'll look into a setup to recharge a paintball tank. That way i can be portable when i need to and i can run my home system off the small tank between charges case of a leak.

Im off to research homemade solutions to refill paintball tanks.

Thank you all

The added benefit of having a smaller tank to go portable is nice, but what you're going to do is way more work then just spraying all the connections with starsan with the gas on.

The way to beat gas leaks is not to have gas leaks ;)

You can refill a paintball tank from a big tank pretty easily. The key is to remember that CO2 is stored as a liquid, not a gas.

BTW, smallest paintball tank I ever found was a 3.5oz. 9oz is pretty common.

To refill a paintball tank, you'll need a contraption that's roughly like the following:

A tee connector. One leg goes to the big CO2 tank. One leg goes to the paintball tank. One leg has a valve and exhausts. See https://www.google.com/search?q=co2+paintball+filling+station

1: attach the big and small tanks. Close all valves, including the big tank's screw valve. Paintball tanks normally just have a pin valve.
2: Open the valve to the paintball tank.
3: Open the valve to the big tank.
4: Let pressure equalize.
5: Close the valve to the big tank.
6: Open the dump valve.
-- at this point the paintball tank should be cold.
7: close the exhaust valve
8: Turn the big tank upside-down and hold it above the paintball tank.
9: open the valve on the big tank and fill the little tank.
10: close paintball tank valve
11: close big tank valve
12: open exhaust valve to equalize the system

The goal is to chill the paintball tank (so CO2 stays liquid) and then fill it with liquid - hence the upside-down.

Latest posts

Back