What's the least acidic juice to back sweeten with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALRUS

Reaction score
I've got around 4 gallons of stabilized 14% pineapple wine. It tastes really acidic and sour. I was planning on back sweetening anyway, but now think I need to add juice with as low of an acidity as I can. I don't mind mixing different juice flavors to save this wine. And I don't have the capabilities or time for cold conditioning or adding chemicals. I was even contemplating water and honey.

How about pineapple juice concentrate? Or maybe wine conditioner?

How about pineapple juice concentrate? Or maybe wine conditioner?

Because pineapple juice was the source of all the acid. I don't want to add more. I want a juice with very little or no acidity. Wine conditioner is pointless because my batch is already stabilized and I need something to dilute and sweeten, not just sweeten.

*bump*

Anyone else have an overly sour or acidic wine that they fixed by diluting and sweetening it with a very low acid juice?

I'm not sure you have to worry about reducing the acidity. After all, Coca-Cola and Sprite have a pretty frighteningly acidic pH, but we don't notice it because of all the sugar. I think if you sweeten it, you won't notice the sour acidic flavor.

I agree with JonM, sweetening may just be the ticket. A little Splenda will work wonders w/o making the wine seem thick or syrupy. There are other ways to reduce acidity, but not necessarily mainstream.
Take a small sample and put into a glass or cup, add a tiny bit of baking soda, and see if it reacts. If so, taste it and see what you have. if it tastes better w/o being "salty", it's just an idea to lower the acidity a small amount. If you are open to other ideas, PM me.

Latest posts

Back