What's the flavor I don't like? (Fat Tire/Stone IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

readmypilot

Reaction score
I'm trying to get better at identifying flavors I don't like in commercial beers so that I can design beers that I'll like better.

First up: Fat Tire.
It's a bitter, malty flavor (not hoppy), and it makes Fat Tire clash with any food I'm eating. I find myself immediately taking a bite of food to get the beer taste out of my mouth, which is just sad.

I get a similar flavor in Stone IPA. I feel like it totally clashes with the hops. It's like it wants to be refreshing and crisp, but then this malty flavor comes in and ruins the party for me.

So is this the crystal malt that I'm tasting? Biscuit? Chocolate?

Should I limit these malts to a certain percentage in my beers?

Or maybe use other malts instead?

Any guidance from the experts in this forum would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

No chocolate in stone IPA. Crystal malts add sweetness with unfermentable sugars. That shouldn't add a bitterness. It could be biscuit or some sort of small addition. Melanoidin, wheat, etc.

Are you sure you're not zoning in on a hop like simcoe?

No chocolate in stone IPA. Crystal malts add sweetness with unfermentable sugars. That shouldn't add a bitterness. It could be biscuit or some sort of small addition. Melanoidin, wheat, etc.

Are you sure you're not zoning in on a hop like simcoe?

Ya man, this is a hop your zoning in on. I think it is the Centennial hops you don't adore. I am the same way, I love/hate Centennial hops.... Such an awesome hoppy nose but the flavor is almost smokey malt category .... I have no desire to experiment with this hop, except the AleSmith clone that is.... :D

Ya man, this is a hop your zoning in on. I think it is the Centennial hops you don't adore. I am the same way, I love/hate Centennial hops.... Such an awesome hoppy nose but the flavor is almost smokey malt category .... I have no desire to experiment with this hop, except the AleSmith clone that is.... :D
no centennial in fat tire. new belgium says they use Williamette, Goldings and Target. Stone claim to use Magnum, Chinook and Centennial.

Are you drinking expired beers?

no centennial in fat tire. new belgium says they use Williamette, Goldings and Target. Stone claim to use Magnum, Chinook and Centennial.

Are you drinking expired beers?

Interesting... The clone I have of stone IPA only uses warrior and centennial.... But you are correct on the fat tire..... this time...... :cross:

Hmm. I really need to get better at describing flavors. I shouldn't have said bitter. Maybe it is a cloying, but not typical sugar-sweet.

I thought maybe it was a malt problem because I never get it in lighter colored beers like Pliny. I do get it in IPAs that have a bit more color. Also in ambers, and some browns.

I also get it in some American interpretations of Belgian beers, but not in actual Belgian beers. I was thinking this was because Americans tend to throw in more specialty malts than Belgians, who get a lot of color from the candi syrup.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

I think you are describing crystal malts which would make sense.

But if it is specifically the toasty/nutty note that Fat Tire has going on, I am absolutely convinced it is a small addition of pale chocolate malt, if that is what you are thinking of.

Back