What's the fastest and most powerful stir plate for a 5L flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easily creates a vortex in a 5L flask.
Maelstrom.jpg

I ended up buying a Maelstrom since it was on sale and I had gift cards. It should arrive next week with a few other items. I will use my current stir plate on smaller starters or as back up.

NB had them sale as one of their 2019 top items and an additional discount. So far this stir plate is amazing.

I got in on NB's sale too. I'm glad you posted a picture and have great things to say about it! I'm looking forward to using mine and hopefully it will arrive on Tuesday.

I got in on NB's sale too. I'm glad you posted a picture and have great things to say about it! I'm looking forward to using mine and hopefully it will arrive on Tuesday.

Sounds good. I hope you have the same experience as me. I didn't realize but a stir bar puller is also included. Was a very nice surprise to me.

I'm letting mine run 24 hours as a break in. I will post the results tomorrow or Sunday on the results. So far, this is, repeating myself, a beast!

Last edited:
I will use my current stir plate on smaller starters or as back up.

I don't even know if I still have my old little one. I use this for everything from 5L down to early stage propagation and 125mL FFT's. It's kind of cute seeing the wee little flask on the big beast.

I think I've posted this before, but a good idea is to skip the stir bar included, and get a set of different sizes with center rings like this

Magnetic Stir Bar Combo Pack,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0798WGBLP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Then you can optimize the bar to any size flask and volume of liquid.

Enjoy!

I don't even know if I still have my old little one. I use this for everything from 5L down to early stage propagation and 125mL FFT's. It's kind of cute seeing the wee little flask on the big beast.

I think I've posted this before, but a good idea is to skip the stir bar included, and get a set of different sizes with center rings like this

Magnetic Stir Bar Combo Pack,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0798WGBLP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Enjoy!

Yes, I have the stir bar variety pack. The stir bar included with the Maelstorm, so far, is kicking butt.

Enjoy!

I read your previous suggestion in another post and bought those exact ones as well. Thank you for the tip! Mine were delivered days ago.

Has anyone ever removed the cover of a Maelstrom to see what's under the hood?

Cheers!
Don't have to remove the cover, the housing is made of transparent (smokey colored) polycarbonate (or some such.) So when you've had a few beers, you can watch the magnet go round. [emoji1785]

Ya know something? It's damn difficult to get pics through that "transparent" housing... even without some scratches and watermarks. But here's a couple views I managed, top and side. The wingspan on the magnets is 3 inches.
20200117_224934.jpg
20200117_225525.jpg

Holy cow! Those are HUGE!
I can see why some folks have to slowly lower the flask down on the already-spinning magnets lest the stir bar gets pinned to the flask.
I'm assuming there's a stiff DC motor in there somewhere to swing those babies :)
Thanks for the pics...

Cheers!

Holy cow! Those are HUGE!
I can see why some folks have to slowly lower the flask down on the already-spinning magnets lest the stir bar gets pinned to the flask.
I'm assuming there's a stiff DC motor in there somewhere to swing those babies :)
Thanks for the pics...

Cheers!
Yeah, I find it helpful to put the flask down to center the bar, turn it on and quickly raise the flask a half inch or so to let the motor get going, then slowly lower it down. There's probably a better technique. Anybody got one, let me know! Welcome for the pics. [emoji482]

Yeah, I find it helpful to put the flask down to center the bar, turn it on and quickly raise the flask a half inch or so to let the motor get going, then slowly lower it down. There's probably a better technique. Anybody got one, let me know! Welcome for the pics. [emoji482]

Thanks for the additional pics and description of your process. I had read where some people could not get the stir bar to move. You did bring up another item that I had not thought of before ~ the unit top scratches.

I wonder if a plastic piece, plexiglass piece, or a regular mat would help not only with the scratching issue but make it that you do not have to set to center the bar and then slightly lift the flask. Even glass spacers may work. While scratches do not affect the performance, why not try and prevent them.

What are your thoughts?

Hmm. I don't really care about the scratching, it's just cosmetic. I'd assume that it was designed with the optimal distance between the magnets and the deck, once the thing gets going. I'll be interested in other people's thoughts.

EDIT Really getting it started is just like an IndyCar. Lot of power, really tricky on the clutch. But you wouldn't redesign it just to pull out of a parking space easier.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional pics and description of your process. I had read where some people could not get the stir bar to move. You did bring up another item that I had not thought of before ~ the unit top scratches.

I wonder if a plastic piece, plexiglass piece, or a regular mat would help not only with the scratching issue but make it that you do not have to set to center the bar and then slightly lift the flask. Even glass spacers may work. While scratches do not affect the performance, why not try and prevent them.

What are your thoughts?

If concerned about the top scratching simply use a piece of cling wrap or other similar common kitchen item.

+1 For the most part anyway... I do have to fiddle with it sometimes but not nearly like I did with my DIY stir-plate. I probably need a different stir-bar, don't think the one I've been using has the center ridge.

Well, I used the Maelstrom the first time this morning with a 3.6L starter. You were right about the large vortex and power!

I bought the Magnetic Stir Bar Combo Pack (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0798WGBLP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share) that @Robert65 recommended, but used the stir bar that came with the unit this first time. I did have an issue that others have posted though.

When the power is turned on and then the flask is put on top of the Maelstrom, the stir bar centers. However, when the paused button is turned off and the speed button is turned on, regardless of the speed, the magnets in the Maelstrom case will not turn. Thus, the stir bar will not turn.

The only way to get the stir bar to move, is to lift the flask up and push the pause button to pause the operation, then push it again to turn off the pause and push the speed button again to get the magnets to start spinning and then gently lower the flask onto the unit. Is that normal? Does that happen just with the stir bar they provided?

Enough folks have commented they have to do the same thing, so I'm betting it's normal.

I can see that being the case, I've messed about with the gap between my stir plate magnets and the stir bar and have gotten that gap down to where I had to do essentially the same thing. While a tight gap allowed swinging a 2" bar, getting the bar started without spinning out was too hit-and-miss, so I opened the gap and settled for shorter bars...

Cheers!

It is not really important to get a really big vortex going. A constant motion is enough. Even just a relatively small dimple on the surface.

Came here to say this... More powerful stir plate does not produce significantly more yeast, and may actually damage yeast health by mechanical shear.

If Krausen is the issue use Fermicap S

Came here to say this... More powerful stir plate does not produce significantly more yeast, and may actually damage yeast health by mechanical shear.

If Krausen is the issue use Fermicap S

I stopped using Fermcap S after reading the FDA's warning about the need to filter it out. IMHO, there is no need to add a silicone additive (which stays in the wort/beer unless it is filtered out) simply to control krausen. Especially when there is a better alternative available.

Instead, I use Birko Corporation's Patco 376 which is a 100% vegatable oil based defoamer in both starters and in the BK. Only one drop is needed in the flask to eliminate any krausen.

https://www.birkocorp.com/brewing-distilling/products/

In a one step starter I usually get no krausen at all. When I do stepped starters I sometimes get a krausen on the second or third step. Once it actually came out from under the foil over the mouth of the flask.

I also stopped using Fermcap S because of the silicone. Not because I was particularly worried about it but because I had varying results using it. I had boil overs when using it and blow offs also. I might not have used it timely or in the proper amount - who knows - that was years ago.

My stirplate is not capable of the vortex that is pictured previously and I remain unconvinced that it is ever necessary to have a big vortex.

I recently ran my Maelstrom for 3 days while triple stepping up a 2206 yeast for a Vienna Lager. No problems. When I turned off the unit I expected the Maelstrom to feel hot. It did not. This thing is a beast.

I agree and I'm glad I bought it. Below is a picture showing the speed 3 on a 3.6L starter.

IMG_2744.jpg

I stopped using Fermcap S after reading the FDA's warning about the need to filter it out. IMHO, there is no need to add a silicone additive (which stays in the wort/beer unless it is filtered out) simply to control krausen. Especially when there is a better alternative available.

Instead, I use Birko Corporation's Patco 376 which is a 100% vegatable oil based defoamer in both starters and in the BK. Only one drop is needed in the flask to eliminate any krausen.

https://www.birkocorp.com/brewing-distilling/products/

I haven't seen Patco 376 made available to homebrewers. Can you share source?

I haven't seen Patco 376 made available to homebrewers. Can you share source?

About two years ago after talking with the Birko Corporation, I found Adventures in Homebrewing buys Birko Corporation's Patco 376 in bulk and repackages it. I just got off the phone with their Ann Arbor store and warehouse and nothing has changed. They still buy the Patco 376 in bulk and repackage it.

Here is the link where I bought mine......

https://www.homebrewing.org/Foam-Control_p_1773.html

Patco376PO.JPG

BirkoSnip1.JPG

Last edited:
I've never liked using Fermcap because of what its made of and only used it for starters or agar plates. I'll have to pick up some 376 next time I place an order with AiH. Thanks!

About two years ago after talking with the Birko Corporation, I found Adventures in Homebrewing buys Birko Corporation's Patco 376 in bulk and repackages it. I just got off the phone with their Ann Arbor store and warehouse and nothing has changed. They still buy the Patco 376 in bulk and repackage it.

Here is the link where I bought mine......

https://www.homebrewing.org/Foam-Control_p_1773.html

View attachment 666503

View attachment 666504
Thank you! Order placed, I'll give it a try!

Back