What's the best style to flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite style to flavor?

• Wheat

• Kolsch

• Wit

• Stout

• Porter

• Steam

• Lager/Pilsner

• Brown

• Neutral

• H. Ross Perot

Results are only viewable after voting.
It depends on what flavor of you want to add for me. It's like any food, some things go better together than others. Chocolate porter for instance and not chocolate pilsener. Totally depends on matching the flavors up.

I voted stout, because I dont generally like wheat beers. Wheats seem to be the most common. I made a chocolate cherry stout that I am planning a second batch of soon.

- magno

I find that with most fruit, Belgian Wits are a good base brew...I like it better than hefe, because they're already spiced with coriander and Curacao. Belgian Dubbels are also good---I've got a cranberry dubbel in secondary now. As Cheyco says, stouts/porters are good for chocolate, and dark fruit like raspberry, and spruce/juniper.

Pilsners and basic lagers I don't think will stand up to flavoring as well---too much risk of the additives taking over the beer and just turning into one of those girly-assed "flavored malt beverages".

That is a tough question. I love to flavor my porters and stouts, but an american wheat beer is kinda the vodka of beers. It mixes well with just about anything.

Didn't answer the poll because I haven't tried any flavorings besides malt, yeast, hops, and water yet. However, when I do try something with other flavorings, I'm thinking it'll probably be a stout or a porter to start. The idea of coffee, caramel, and chocolate all appeal to me, and I think they'd go best in a stout or porter. Things like fruit, vanilla, pumpkin, etc., hold less appeal for me.

Back