Whats the best bang for my buck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefSpam

Reaction score
If you had to start all over again, would you do anything differently?

I'm planning on spending some of my tax return on my initial set up, and I'm looking for a little spending advice. I've been scouring the internet, looking over my options, it's a little overwhelming to be honest... But so far, it seems like no matter what, I'm not going to find the perfect system already on a shelf...

My desired set up is as such. A 2 stage fermentation system, using better bottles instead of glass carboys, with the final product being kegged instead of bottled. Id like to have 2 Corney Keg's at my disposal, so as I drink one, I can be brewing another.

I already own a reliable apartment size fridge, however, I'll need absolutely everything else! The following links are what I've been narrowing everything down to, but I'm wide open to suggestions! I'd really like to keep the initial expense below 400. Thus I'm willing to frankenstein some things together to save if necessary.

So, either: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/master-brewers-kit-with-kegging-setup.html with the additional purchase of a shank and faucet to replace the picnic tap. As well as a second faucet, shank, gasline, splitter, etc... to be able to pour two brews at once

OR

http://www.kegcowboy.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=135 and
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/starter-kits/deluxe-beer-starter-kit.html

Am I way off? Or at least pointed in the right direction...

EarthBound said:
Search "homebrew" at craigslist, and you'll find everything you need for half the price. Use the money you save on beer.

Depends where you live. Some places are as popular for homebrewers as other. For example, South Florida/Miami have a pitiful homebrew selection on Craigslist. Definitely worth a shot though.

I'm in a very rural area, craigslist is rather ineffective for me. Even the closest home brew shop is about an hour away. So it looks like most of my purchases will be online.
I do however live in a very industrial area. I have standard access to the major big box stores such as Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc... As well as some very in depth plumbing and welding supply stores. There are some great restaurant supply stores in my area as well. If I'm lucky, my connections to local restaurants, and a local brewery could aide in my search...

So again I ask, am I better to Frankenstein my first set of equipment. Or just make a purchase from a reputable online vendor?

Depends where you live. Some places are as popular for homebrewers as other. For example, South Florida/Miami have a pitiful homebrew selection on Craigslist. Definitely worth a shot though.

+1000

I only ever get stuff about how to unlock my Nintendo Wii when I type in Homebrew in South Florida Craigslist.

I have been piecing my setup together over the past year and I just got everything ready for kegging my beer. The kit I got, and am very happy with is from KegConnection: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=324
2%20Keg%20BasicDB%20HomebrewSTANDARDNEW.jpg

With this kit you get your 2 kegs that you were looking for and dual regulators which I am super glad that I went with. It allows you to run different pressures to your tanks so you could be force carbing one beer while serving the other. Only thing I would probably change would be to get 10ft of serving tube per keg instead of the 5ft.

I would also recommend if you go with a kit to get a 6.5 gallon carboy or bucket or pail. Making 5 gallon batches a 5 gallon fermenter makes sense but the first time you get active fermentation and you have beer and gunk all over the place because you didn't have enough room in the fermenter to accommodate you'll be looking to upgrade or get a blow-off tube.

I would part out your stuff though instead of getting a kit. Since your not bottling you dont need some of the things that come in most kits.

(Prices from AustinHomebrew.com)
6 gallon Better Bottle - @ $28.99 X2 (for your 2 stage fermentation)
Caps/Airlocks - $10.00 (estimate)
AutoSiphon 1/2" - $14.99
Hydrometer - $11.99
Wine-Thief - $8.99 (could use AutoSiphon)
$103.95 Total (That will also get you Free Shipping with Austin :))

Other things you are gonna need where you have a lot of options would be your brew kettle and a cheap way to measure your temperatures. I'm assuming you will be doing extract kits. All-Grain requires different equipment. Also think about if you are wanting to do partial vs. full-boils. Full-boils will require a larger brew kettle and typically a propane burner as most ovens cant boil that much water. With a full-boil you might want to look into getting an immersion chiller as well (prolly another $50).

You really have a ton of options. But since you are looking to go straight to kegging I would part out the brewing kit as it will probably be cheaper than buying a kit so you can spend more on your keg setup. NorthernBrewer and AustinHomebrew are both excellent places. I use them both and they are great.

Sorry for the long post. I just love beer and making it. :mug:

Good Luck!!

I would use glass carboys rather than the Better Bottle carboys. The plastic carboys scratch like buckets and harbor microorganisms that can ruin your beer.

I would use glass carboys rather than the Better Bottle carboys. The plastic carboys scratch like buckets and harbor microorganisms that can ruin your beer.

Hey I know, let's scaremonger the new brewer into buying something they don't need!

There is nothing wrong with buckets or better bottles, especially if you don't stick stuff in there that can scratch them. And in particular I find buckets pretty darn useful. Much easier to use than any carboy or better bottle. Buckets are easier to move around, easier to clean, weigh less, and won't cut your leg open when you drop it full of wort, which is also easier to do with a glass carboy since it's heavier and harder to grip, especially right after you've sanitized things. Of course you can also buy special handles or carriers for carboys to make them a bit easier to carry, but that's like putting lipstick on a horse IMO.

For what it's worth I also have a better bottle which after 4 years still has not a single scratch. Know why? I don't use a brush to clean it. A soak in oxiclean solution works great and is less hassle to boot.

So far as other homebrew equipment, you will need tubing, cleaning and sanitizing stuff, a big brew pot, and probably some other odds and ends that I can't think of right now.

Facts are not scaremongering.

He will get more use out of glass carboys than other fermentation vessels. That will be the best bang for the buck, which is the topic question.

Buckets are fine for priming vessels and to start out if that's all you can afford. Better Bottle carboys are in the same league as plastic buckets, since it's still plastic just in a different shape. The carboy shape is not friendly for priming and this is where the bucket shines. The plastic carboy offers no advantages to the plastic bucket.

This thread is not about needs, it's about wants.

I've been using the same two plastic bucket fermenters for more than 10 years with absolutely no problems at all. With reasonable care they work just fine and will last indefinitely. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but they are not entitled to their own "facts".

This thread is about the best bang for the buck. Considering the current price of glass carboys, it appears to be a no brainer kind of thing. The OP may or may not get more use out of glass carboys. They are very easy to break, not to mention they are dangerous. I am not anti-glass carboys. I have two of them that I use for secondaries. I've never broken one...yet. My point is that the plastic containers can work just as well as glass vessels.

He will get more use out of glass carboys than other fermentation vessels. That will be the best bang for the buck, which is the topic question.

Really? I can get a 6.5 gallon glass carboy for $40, or the same volume of bucket & lid for $12 at my local LHBS. So a carboy has to last more than 3X as long as a bucket just to be at the same price level, not even getting into "best bang for the buck".

If we are talking 5 gallon containers, you can literally get FREE 5 gallon buckets by visiting your local grocery store's bakery and asking politely, since they get them all the time and otherwise just toss them out. You can find them at restaurants, delis, etc. too but watch out for any buckets used for pickles because that pickle smell is NEVER coming out.

Wow Catt22 you have a problem with comprehension.

Plastic is prone to scratching. That is an inherent flaw with all plastic compounds.

That is not an opinion it is a fact.

Will plastic always scratch? No.

Will glass always break? No.

Both are facts, neither are opinions.

Wow Catt22 you have a problem with comprehension.

Plastic is prone to scratching. That is an inherent flaw with all plastic compounds.

So what?

So if plastic won't always scratch, and glass will sometimes break, how is it a fact that a glass carboy will always be a better option, especially given the price differential?

Really? I can get a 6.5 gallon glass carboy for $40, or the same volume of bucket & lid for $12 at my local LHBS. So a carboy has to last more than 3X as long as a bucket just to be at the same price level, not even getting into "best bang for the buck".

If we are talking 5 gallon containers, you can literally get FREE 5 gallon buckets by visiting your local grocery store's bakery and asking politely, since they get them all the time and otherwise just toss them out. You can find them at restaurants, delis, etc. too but watch out for any buckets used for pickles because that pickle smell is NEVER coming out.
Glass will outlast plastic for useful life. I've been using the same glass carboys for over 30 years. Ever had a plastic bucket last that long? I bet not.

So if plastic won't always scratch, and glass will sometimes break, how is it a fact that a glass carboy will always be a better option, especially given the price differential?
Glass carboys will outlast plastic buckets. This isn't hard folks. Look at the properties of the material being discussed.

Glass will outlast plastic for useful life. I've been using the same glass carboys for over 30 years. Ever had a plastic bucket last that long? I bet not.

Gee that would have made me 9 years old when I started brewing, grandpa.

I had a glass carboy explode after one year of use when the blowoff tube got clogged. Do I win some sort of prize for having my 5 year old buckets outlast my glass carboy? How about the fact that if I want a replacement bucket, I can always find one for free? How about the fact that we are discussing the investment to START brewing, and trying to keep the total under $400?

Glass carboys will outlast plastic buckets. This isn't hard folks. Look at the properties of the material being discussed.

Glass is not immune to scratches. Glass will not necessarily outlast plastic and especially so if you are even the slightest bit careless. Although I cannot document it, I would venture to say that there are far more plastic fermenters in use by home brewers than glass carboys. I've never had a batch go south due to an infection. Reasonable care, cleaning and sanitizing are all that is required to use plastic fermenters successfully and they can last a very, very long time.

Thanks for all the input guys! (especially thanks for the link toasted) However, you can stop worrying about the glass vs. plastic debate. I'm going with the plastic bb's out of convenience and cost. I know my own home, and glass things don't last to long... Plus after 10+ years of culinary work sanitation/care issues dont scare me. Though don't get me wrong, I respect the pros n cons of both.

Wizenworks, you mentioned priming vessels. Specifically that bb's are difficult to use. Are you talking first stage fermenting, or am I off base with my terms? Where I work I have access to foodgrade (hdpe)5gal buckets as far as the eye can see. Would it be in my best interest to pick up 1-2 as well as the bb's I plan on using for primary n secondary fermenting?

The glass vs. plastic debate has sent more than one thread off the rails...:)

If you are bottling, you would use a priming vessel to properly mix the priming sugar solution with the beer prior to dispensing in your bottles. A bucket with a spigot is standard practice. If you choose to naturally prime in a keg, you don't need the separate vessel - just put the priming solution in with the flat beer.

To your original point, ChefSpam, you've narrowed your choices down to some good options. When I was getting back into brewing (after a very long break), I went the same route. I paired the Midwest Supplies Brew Logic dual tap system with a Northern Brewer Better Basic starter kit, and picked up a 5 gallon BB as a secondary. Even though I keg, it's nice to be able to fill a few bottles to give to friends or take to parties.

Oh, and I can never seem to have enough buckets around for cleaning, sanitizer, etc.

IMO don't worry about having a different primary and secondary fermentation vessel. Just get two primaries. Most (80% or more) beers do not need a secondary. You, however, do want a couple of primaries. Just get two Ale Pails and you'll be happy. Only wash them with a soft sponge and oxyclean. IMHO I prefer the Ale Pail over the BB.

Latest posts

Back