Whats more Awful Tofu or Belgian Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is more Awful? Tofu? or Belgian Beers?

• Tofu?

• Belgian Beers?

• Neither! Tofu Dubbel anyone?

• Both are equally repulsive.

• Ralph Nader

Results are only viewable after voting.
GilaMinumBeer said:
Damnit woman! I've told you to stop following me around in here. Now go be a good wife and get me another one before it starts.

My Y chromosome just said that you are mistaken! :)

What is tofu?

Full of female hormones from the soy plant, sounds like something that a man wanting to put on some muscle would avoid.

It's not just limited to beer, but man, some people have the freaking palate of a child and *seriously* need to let it develop.

Ok, enlighten me. What is a good entry level belgian that will help me to learn to appreciate them. I'm serial. ;)

Full of female hormones from the soy plant, sounds like something that a man wanting to put on some muscle would avoid.

The same can be said about beer. Alcohol raises estrogen levels and decreases testosterone. I guess you'll be quitting the beer now right?

I find soy products absolutely gross. Tofu sucks and someone many years ago tricked me into trying it and it still sucked. And Belgian beers are awesome.

I apply the same mentality to soy products as I do to salads......I don't eat salads because that's what food eats!

beerloaf

The same can be said about beer. Alcohol raises estrogen levels and decreases testosterone. I guess you'll be quitting the beer now right?

I was just stirring the pot. Boring day here at work.

Are you sure about alcohol raising estrogen levels? First I have heard of that, will have to research.

EDIT: Seems that heavy drinking does increase estrogen levels, something to do with the way the liver processes the normal amount of estrogen in a mans body.

Oh my GOD !!!!! I hope your kidding but my opinion is probably tofu if you want a serious answer if not I will drink my Chimay cinq cents and pray gambrinus has pity on you : ).

I enjoy tripels very much but entry level... there belgians there is no entry level !!!! try a faro or a tripel a dubbel or quad or ahhhhh I know try delerium tremens or delerium nocturn those are really good belgian golden and dark strongs or maybe a gueze or straight lambic or framboise. Belgian beer is basically disney land as charlie papazian has said.

Can't vote. I like them both. And tempeh.

Wife is a vegetarian (I am most certainly not), so I eat it from time to time. I didn't like tofu or tempeh at first, until I learned how to properly prepare it. That makes a world of difference.

And Belgian beers are amazing.

Ok, enlighten me. What is a good entry level belgian that will help me to learn to appreciate them. I'm serial. ;)

Start with a Duvel to get used to the background flavor of the belgian yeast on a dry beer. Then start working your way through the list above.

:)

By the way, I'd be more than happy to trade a six pack of tofu to anyone for a six pack of belgian beer...

:)

I enjoy tripels very much but entry level... there belgians there is no entry level !!!! try a faro or a tripel a dubbel or quad or ahhhhh I know try delerium tremens or delerium nocturn those are really good belgian golden and dark strongs or maybe a gueze or straight lambic or framboise. Belgian beer is basically disney land as charlie papazian has said.

Delerium Tremens was my drain pour. I've had cold medicine that was more appetizing... :drunk:

North Coast's Pranqster might be a good introduction to Belgians.

It is a little on the sweet side, but the yeast flavors are not overpowering.

We have had annex excellent belgian bar here for a long time. I discovered the belgians before I discovered IPAs even. I go through spurts where I am not in the mood but man they make some great stuff. The Delirium stuff is kind of a starter belgian imo. Last one I had was Orval man that was great. Wits are one of my go to beers. And I am more into the doubles and strong darks than the triples. Tofu not my thing.

I have no idea how one could not like the ones like:
Tripel Karmeliet
Boucanier Red
La Trappe Dubbel

I didn't like Belgian beers, so I brewed a Saison. Guess what I like after 5 gallons of it... I haven't tried any commercial Belgians of other styles since my conversion, but I have brewed 2 more Saisons.

MBasile said:
I didn't like Belgian beers, so I brewed a Saison. Guess what I like after 5 gallons of it... I haven't tried any commercial Belgians of other styles since my conversion, but I have brewed 2 more Saisons.

+1

The best things in life are acquired tastes anyways. The group of beers I used to completely avoid were the dark, roasty beers - porters and stouts.

But I knew I was missing a big part of the beer experience, not being able to enjoy some truly great beers simply because of my personal taste.

So I worked at it... first thing I did was make a nice, thick, chocolatey milk stout, and made it specifically to minimize any of the sharp or acrid roast flavors you might experience with, say, a dry stout. From there, I started drinking less sweet and more "roasty" examples of the styles. In no time at all - and I mean surprisingly quickly - I found myself able to enjoy pretty much any stout no problem... like to the point where I'll buy some examples purely because actually I'm expecting to really enjoy them, something I never would have done before.

That's pretty much what the whole concept of an acquired taste is. Funny thing is, I often find that the things I enjoy the *absolute most* - be it music, food, beer, etc - is stuff I started out actually disliking. If we always went with what automatically and strongly pleases the senses without any sense of difficulty whatsoever, we'd all be listening to pop music, and our favorite food and drink would probably consist of fast food, cheap candy, and soda. Which is exactly what you'd expect from children, and pretty much what I meant earlier when referring to people having the palate of a child.

My mother never breastfed me.

I was allergic to milk when I was a kid.

So, I was raised on a soy milk diet when I was a wee little baby.

Ever since then, I have loved all soy products, from plain, non sugar added soymilk, to tofu, to fermented soybeans (natto). Thankfully, living in Japan, I've had some of the most delicious tofu on the planet. I can't even describe its flavor, it's so yummy!

Having just finished a beer with Belgian yeast and sampling it, I cannot vote for the beer either.

+1

The best things in life are acquired tastes anyways. The group of beers I used to completely avoid were the dark, roasty beers - porters and stouts.

But I knew I was missing a big part of the beer experience, not being able to enjoy some truly great beers simply because of my personal taste.

So I worked at it... first thing I did was make a nice, thick, chocolatey milk stout, and made it specifically to minimize any of the sharp or acrid roast flavors you might experience with, say, a dry stout. From there, I started drinking less sweet and more "roasty" examples of the styles. In no time at all - and I mean surprisingly quickly - I found myself able to enjoy pretty much any stout no problem... like to the point where I'll buy some examples purely because actually I'm expecting to really enjoy them, something I never would have done before.

That's pretty much what the whole concept of an acquired taste is. Funny thing is, I often find that the things I enjoy the *absolute most* - be it music, food, beer, etc - is stuff I started out actually disliking. If we always went with what automatically and strongly pleases the senses without any sense of difficulty whatsoever, we'd all be listening to pop music, and our favorite food and drink would probably consist of fast food, cheap candy, and soda. Which is exactly what you'd expect from children, and pretty much what I meant earlier when referring to people having the palate of a child.

I like almost all types of beers it's primarily the Belgians that are the ones that disagree with me. That said, I get your point and agree to a large extent - I'll try a few more, but so far my inner man child is throwing a tantrum!

I go to Belgium at least once a year for work. To have fresh Belgian beer is heavenly. When you buy it here, most of the time it is old or handled improperly making for a very poor resembelance of the original state.

Celticway said:
I go to Belgium at least once a year for work. To have fresh Belgian beer is heavenly. When you buy it here, most of the time it is old or handled improperly making for a very poor resembelance of the original state.

A lot of Belgians age well they certainly can be miss handled tho.

Saisons are the perfect gateway Belgian beer. Next you'll find you like some dubbels and triples.. then before long you'll be into Quads, biere de garde, belgian strong dark ale, belgian strong pale ale, and the list goes on... lol

Man I want to go back. Nothing like a big fat waffle and a belgian strong dark ale in the morning for breakfast... did that almost every day in brussels.

pointerDixie214 said:
Man I want to go back. Nothing like a big fat waffle and a belgian strong dark ale in the morning for breakfast... did that almost every day in brussels.

Man, I big fat waffle breakfast knocks me out bad enough without a 10% abv beer on the side... how did you manage?

not a fair poll. I love me some belgian dubbel or tripel, however i have never had tofu so i abstain from voting as I have no fair comparison.

Pad thai with tofu whats not to like.Taste kinda like eggs,its also spiced well. Its like saying i hate califlower which is a pretty bland vegetable.
I had some belgians i loved some were just ok, high in complexity and usually fruit like but pretty differnt than most ales.Definatly a differnt unusually breed of beer.Try an orval.

Mearedsous Tripel 10 is one of the best commercial beers ever made. ANYONE who drank one would agree, I don't care who ya are

I love how some people trash talk Belgian beers and then go brew/drink some 1.020 FG German or English thing...Enjoy your one dimensional syrup beer fellas, enjoy, LOL

I brewed up a french ale with a .022 fg.I would call it a good two-dimensional beer.

jonmohno said:
I brewed up a french ale with a .022 fg.I would call it a good two-dimensional beer.

I just did a belgian that finished around 1.020... of course it started at 1.110 :mug: wont be drinking that anytime soon...

Seriously? How could you not like these??? :confused:

chimay-red-e1260830629112.jpg

hoegaarden.jpg

leffe-blonde-436026.jpg

Hoegaarden was tried as well - better than the cold medicine (Tremens) and the drain didn't get any! Would I pay for it? Nope!

n2fooz said:
Seriously? How could you not like these??? :confused:

Same reason you wouldn't like these. Because you have a simple palate that only interprets what it can't understand as "bad"

images-25.jpeg

images-13.jpeg

images-16.jpeg

Back