What's in your airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer

Reaction score
So what's in your airlock and why? I've read some folks use water, others distilled spirits, and still others water with chemicals. I've done several batches with just tap water myself...they are turning out fine, but I do monitor them and make sure they never dry out, etc. :mug:

I use Star San solution. To be honest, the only reason I use Star San instead of plain water is because it's quicker to just fill it with the Star San solution it's already soaking in it, rather than walking over to fill it with water.

I always use vodka in an airlock. If I use a blowoff it will have starsan, but I usually replace a blowoff with a proper airlock after the action settles down. I have used tap water and sanitizer in airlocks to no ill effect. once though, I did get some coloured cultures colonizing the concoction so I resolved to only ever fill an airlock with vodka. I don't use sippin vodka though, I use the cheapest bottle I can get.

I use star san- I have it on hand, and I like the fact that if there has been any bubbling whatsoever in the last day or two the star san bubbles remain. I realize that your no supposed to us an airlock as a fermentation indicator, but "flat" star san in the airlock = no CO2 leaving the fermenter for a few days.

Mine have tap water with a drop of alcohol in it. That's what the brew store told me to do, so I did.

NOTHING!! :) :) http://www.williamsbrewing.com/10-VENTED-SILICONE-STOPPER-P2667.aspx

Started using these and never looked back. No suckback, simpler, and they can be autoclaved (pressure cooker) why on earth would anyone keep using an airlock when these exist?

//note: this is only from my personal experience.

I can give you four good reasons. :D

They're six times more expensive than a three-piece, the three-piece ones have always worked just fine for me, I don't have an autoclave or pressure cooker, and I like watching and listening to them bubble away.

I have to admit, I like your last reason best .. the bubbling of an airlock is mesmerizing. However, I can't even use an airlock again if I wanted. My ferm chamber isn't tall enough. I actually only paid $3.50 for mine at my LHBS which was only about $1.50 more than a 3-piece and drilled stopper together, but in theory the silicone ought to last longer.

Hey if you like airlocks, by all means. Diff'rent strokes. I just get the feeling that a lot of people who don't know they exist might love them. Cheers!

I have to admit, I like your last reason best .. the bubbling of an airlock is mesmerizing. However, I can't even use an airlock again if I wanted. My ferm chamber isn't tall enough. I actually only paid $3.50 for mine at my LHBS which was only about $1.50 more than a 3-piece and drilled stopper together, but in theory the silicone ought to last longer.

Hey if you like airlocks, by all means. Diff'rent strokes. I just get the feeling that a lot of people who don't know they exist might love them. Cheers!

Hmmmm... I hadn't actually thought about the height issue. My fermentation chamber has two levels. I can't fit carboys on top because of the air lock; only primary buckets. Now I think I need to remeasure and see if this will clear! LOL, now after my four reasons post, I'm thinking about buying one.

Also, I didn't figure in the price of the stopper as well, so I guess it's not actually six times as expensive.

FAIL! :mug:

Hmmmm... I hadn't actually thought about the height issue. My fermentation chamber has two levels. I can't fit carboys on top because of the air lock; only primary buckets. Now I think I need to remeasure and see if this will clear! LOL, now after my four reasons post, I'm thinking about buying one.

Also, I didn't figure in the price of the stopper as well, so I guess it's not actually six times as expensive.

FAIL! :mug:

I wouldn't call that a fail.. you had me nodding my head yes :cross:

Medical alcohol...

because I've got litres of the stuff floating around and I'm not allowed to have spirits on expedition...go figure.

Cheapest vodka possible.

I would be willing to try that silicone stopper if it was a couple dollars cheaper. It is about 3 times the cost for a airlock and stopper at the LHBS.

NOTHING!! :) :) http://www.williamsbrewing.com/10-VENTED-SILICONE-STOPPER-P2667.aspx

Started using these and never looked back. No suckback, simpler, and they can be autoclaved (pressure cooker) why on earth would anyone keep using an airlock when these exist?

//note: this is only from my personal experience.

Well, silicone allows quite a bit of O2 to permeate...that's a reason I don't use them:

http://www.mocon.com/pdf/optech/Closures - Oxygen Passage Study.pdf

I have been using starsan/water solution that I saved from sanitizing the carboy.

Well, silicone allows quite a bit of O2 to permeate...that's a reason I don't use them:

http://www.mocon.com/pdf/optech/Closures - Oxygen Passage Study.pdf

That's an interesting study, thanks for sharing. Though they mentioned it in passing, the outward pressure of CO2 would change the TR of O2. I wish they had measured the same array of airlocks with some positive pressure of CO2 in the test neck. I wouldn't expect that any of these methods would make much difference during fermentation, when the yeast if offgassing, however this is good info for lagering. I know a lot of people turn to silicone for long term aging in the secondary, especially in dry/hot climates, because liquid-trap airlocks tend to dry out if you can't give it a lot of attention.

That's an interesting study, thanks for sharing. Though they mentioned it in passing, the outward pressure of CO2 would change the TR of O2. I wish they had measured the same array of airlocks with some positive pressure of CO2 in the test neck. I wouldn't expect that any of these methods would make much difference during fermentation, when the yeast if offgassing, however this is good info for lagering. I know a lot of people turn to silicone for long term aging in the secondary, especially in dry/hot climates, because liquid-trap airlocks tend to dry out if you can't give it a lot of attention.

Not a problem. I had been using the "S" type air-locks for my bulk aging, but no longer. Better-Bottle dry tap air-locks FTW!

Latest posts

Back