Whats going on with my porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnvodka

Reaction score
This is my 22nd batch since i started a year ago.After going through the normal process of making my wert and pitching yeast ,fermentation began lasting only 2 and a half days.I doubled my grain and dme in this recipe.Also added extra yeast .However after taking a gravity reading and tasting ,somethings just not right .What to do?

what is the gravity reading?

for some reason, my porter fermentations have all been a bit strange - small krausens, short fermentations...including the one fermenting right now.

It all depends on the gravity reading. If it is finished, then maybe the beer was too warm and it fermented super quick. If the gravity is still relatively high, then there will be other things to look into.

P.S. its "wort" even though its spoken like wert

That is a 62% attenuation so far, so should have some more to go. What yeast did you use?

Also, when you say the fermentation finished in 2 days, do you mean air lock activity, of you have taken a series of readings since that time and they were all the same?

Quick answer is give it some time, and that it takes a while for flavors to meld together.

What kind of extract did you use? When I was extract brewing I dont think I got a single beer to finish below 1020, so you are done in that regard. What temp did you ferment at?

I used white lab yeast .Temp was steady at about 77 degrees.Air lock activity was done took a reading yesterday when it was 1020 today its 1030 guess it still going.Why is it not blowing any more should I add more yeast

Wait, yesterday it was 1.020 but today it is 1.030? Should not be going up.

Fermentation takes normally a week to complete. Even if there is no air lock bubbles the beer can still be fermenting. Don't add any new yeast, just let it go and do its thing. If you get the same gravity reading 3 days in a row then the fermentation is probably done.

You said white lab, can you tell us which yeast specifically it was?

You also said you doubled your DME and yeast, but are only at 1.052 (you wrote 1.502, I assume it is 1.052), which would have made a normal recipe be at a 1.026 OG, which seems really low. Something doesn't add up, perhaps you read your OG wrong.

So I would suggest you just let it sit and ferment out, if by the end of the week it hasn't changed then come back and work on it.

77 is waaaaaay to high of a temp to ferment at. That is why it fermented so fast. You need to get your temps down below 70 at least, 62-66 would be best. Do a search for swamp cooler to find a cheap/easy way to control temps. Also, dont be surprised if there is a lot of off-flavors in this beer. Chock it up to learning and fix it for the next one

Back