What's floating in my IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainer28

Reaction score
So, I'm drinking my IPA. It's been kegged on gelatin for about 5 days, great carbonation. It's not clear, but hop hazy.

The IPA has 6oz of kettle hops and 4oz of Dry hop (not in keg though).

When I pour the IPA, there are small granules?? at the bottom of the glass. They look a lot like the sediment at the bottom of Heady Topper, which I've heard is hop resin. But no idea.

The granules have no texture.

Any thoughts? Has anyone experienced this before?

Did you keg on the gelatin? I use irish moss with 15 left in the boil and when i siphon to the fermentor it looks like phlem or a lugee glob.
Just got an idea of that when you said it has no texture. These globs could be little balls of gelatin...?

My kegs of dry-hopped beer usually have some flakes or particles for the first few pours, maybe even 3 or 4 pints. I drink them.

I ferment most of my Ales about four weeks and then move them to a and some stay there for a while a, few months, before serving.

So they have a Secondary fermentation and age.

Frequently the first few glasses have some yeast in them as it pulls the yeast around the drop tube but after that,,,, as long as I do not move it, the beer comes out clear.

Moving it stirs it all up again and then... "the first few glasses have some yeast in them as it pulls the yeast around the drop tube"

Sometimes it is "clumpy".

DPB

Back