What's everyone use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
So I think I have been scared away from white labs lacto Brevis. Doesn't seem to work. 24 hours and no Ph change as per previous thread that has now led me to this question. What does everyone use for there kettle souring. Gose to be exact but just any sour. Hoping it's available in Canada (mango goodbelly is one example of Canada not having). Was thinking about activia yogurt but there site shows 3 other bacteria other then lacto so wondering what's tried and true.

Thanks,

Grain.
It's not that difficult. Keep the wort between 105-115F, purge your souring vessel with CO2, and let her rip for a few days. 72 hours at most, and I always get down to 3.4-3.5 pH.
I've tried probiotics, GoodBelly shots, and mixed lacto cultures, but I've returned to the critters living on grain time and time again for their clean souring character and ease of procurement. I'd like to try kombucha and kefir at some point since they are also natural lacto sources, but IMO probiotics are just a waste of money.

Grain.
I'd like to try kombucha and kefir at some point since they are also natural lacto sources, but IMO probiotics are just a waste of money.

I actually saw kefir the other day at the grocery store and thought about using it eventually. Probably build a starter with it to avoid adding to much milk to the kettle. Not sure exactly how.

I don't have a way to blanket my kettle with CO2 so the grain scared me. My lid isn't an air tight seal. I used plastic wrap to limit oxygen contact with the sour I just did with a pure well white labs says pure lacto culture. I don't want to use grain and make a pot of vinegar or have a nose of vomit (had a really good raspberry sour at a local brew pub that taste amazing but smelled like someone puked in the cup the night before).

Back