What's Brewing This Weekend (3-3/5)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally getting round to a Morrello Cherry Cider experiment for me this weekend!

9 lbs pilsner malt
.5 lbs wheat
.5 lbs carapils

2 oz tetnanger whole hops full boil

dropped atop a german ale/kolsch yeast cake from las brew

I just finished a SNCA clone. This is the first hoppy (I hope) beer I've brewed. Last July when I started this hobby I couldn't stand hoppy beers...now, in the last few weeks, I crave more and more of them. I'm pretty sure it was that Hopzilla that pushed me over the edge, DeRoux.

Next batch...all grain baby. :)

Nada this weekend. Maybe next. My CA Uncommon is in the primary and I want to put the CA Doppelbock on top of the yeast. I'm assuming that with the temp around 60 degrees that primary fermentation will be done in two weeks. It's still bubbling every couple seconds, and it went in last saturday.

Change of plans. I'm thinking about brewing 06.06.06 this Sunday. I've also got to rack my honey ale to the secondary and keg my ESB to free up a carboy. :)

Ive got four all grain recipes waiting for Monday and Tuesday!!!!!
1- 06-06-06
2- " Holy Hops Batman "Imperial IPA (With warrior 18% alpha...Yeahhhh!!!)
3- GOT MILK? Stout
4- Jim Beam me up Scottie Vanilla Porter

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

SNAFU

FUBAR

ABORT MISSION

I just dumped 6 gallons of unhopped wort down the driveway. Brewday was a disaster from the start so I decided to try another day. My new mashtun absolutely sucks. I've brewed with it 3 times now and I can't get a strike temp right for anything. It won't hold a temp for very long. I've experimented, lost, and got my a$$ whupped by a plastic box 3 times.

So.....I'll continue to do lower gravity beers and suffer along with the old 5 gallon trusty igloo ice cube until I can get a large 10 gallon cooler and try, try again.

Some of the other problems I had....My drill decided to take a dump after less than a pound of grain, so I had to take apart my milling station just to get the grain milled for this batch. If I had only known the outcome.....

However, NIF. I look at it this way, I spent some time outside, saved some hops (by not even getting to that point of the boil) saved some yeast, and learned a lesson for another day.

I keep telling myself, calmer than you are, calmer than you are. NIF. :mug:

You know Dude, I really like your new persona, but now everytime you post I've got to run and get a caucasian and put on the DVD...I just can't anything done. :(

Too bad Dude - better luck next time.
El P - Hops AND All Grain? A huge leap of faith there on two counts......;)

Dude said:
SNAFU

FUBAR

ABORT MISSION

I just dumped 6 gallons of unhopped wort down the driveway. Brewday was a disaster from the start so I decided to try another day. My new mashtun absolutely sucks. I've brewed with it 3 times now and I can't get a strike temp right for anything. It won't hold a temp for very long. I've experimented, lost, and got my a$$ whupped by a plastic box 3 times.

:mug:
Dude! I feel your pain. More than one of my brews has gone down the drain to a premature death.
What kind of cooler are you using? Maybe it's too big for six gallon batches. Try brewing a 10 or 12 gallon batch. The more mash you have the slower the temp drops. Just a thought. On the other hand I'd hate to see you loose 12 gallons of wort!

RichBrewer said:
Dude! I feel your pain. More than one of my brews has gone down the drain to a premature death.
What kind of cooler are you using? Maybe it's too big for six gallon batches. Try brewing a 10 or 12 gallon batch. The more mash you have the slower the temp drops. Just a thought. On the other hand I'd hate to see you loose 12 gallons of wort!

I think part of the problem with the cooler is the walls are to thin to hold a steady temp. I can easily go back to my igloo, I just can't do any beers over 1.065 or so. No prob.

The cooler got retired and is now a regular "cooler" again.

This definitely has me re-thinking things....being able to add direct heat to my mash-tun is sounding more and more intriguing.

Man, that sucks! If you're wanting to do something big in the meantime, go grab my MLT. Might have to soak that mash pad a little. :D

I was going to brew an Amarillo Wheat and an English IPA, but discretion got the better part of valour, when I realised it was to be day number 4 at 35C or more.

Nothing better than minding the mash tun and boiler as the external mercury climbs towards 100F, not!

All grain brewing in the Australian summer, what fun.

Latest posts

Back