What's Brewing This Weekend (3-3/5)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
some posts in an older "WBTW" thread from january prompted me to start one for THIS weekend.

Whatcha brewing this weekend?

I don't have any definite plans to brew anything myself, but I might decide on the spur of the moment to cook something up; I've various grains and hops in the freezer, 20 lbs of DME in the cupboard, 3 strains of yeast in the fridge, and a collection of empty carboys.

-walker

this weekend looks to be an equipment weekend. I need to move all of my operations out into the garage, so I am welding up a stand that will also allow me to transition to all grain, since I want to try that this spring. At the minimum, I am getting a keg that I own fitted with a tig welded nipple so that I can install a ball valve, etc, and do full boils. If I get enough fab done, I will start installing the gas and water plumbing on the frame too.

I do need to bottle my Angry Simon though as well...

Not a darn thing. Last time I brewed was Feb 3rd. I'm on the SWMBO project from hell re-doing a shower (walls, tile, ceiling fan/light, seat for the arse, plumbing bla bla!). On a good note I do have two full kegs on tap and two waiting in the wings (twas the plan as I knew this project was coming up).

I just pitched my Weiss last night and I'm thinking about a Porter or IPA either this weekend or next, I just got another secondary so I can make even more at once. Also, I'm definitely gonna try a partial-mash version of the 06/06/06 beast brew that some of the guys have been cooking up sometime after springbreak. Having two brews in their respective secondaries by spring break will be great, out of sight out of mind if you know what I mean.

Not a dang thing I will be doing like desertBrew said "the SWMBO project from hell" hanging drywall, insulating interior walls, building a coat closet in the living room along with a decorative beam for the cathedral ceiling, oh and let us not forget removing the cultured stone face from the fireplace:mad: Lets see I am sure I must have missed something off the honey do list from hell...... Oh well get to it when I get to it.

I haven't brewed for a couple of weeks due to the weather and to family obligations so I'm due. I have a starter of czech pilsner working so I guess I'll do a pilsner if I can get a path shoveled out to my shed so I can brew if the expected snow arrives.

boo boo said:
I haven't brewed for a couple of weeks due to the weather and to family obligations so I'm due. I have a starter of czech pilsner working so I guess I'll do a pilsner if I can get a path shoveled out to my shed so I can brew if the expected snow arrives.
I'm having almost the same problem, boo boo...I'm having to shovel the freaking buds and tree pollen out of the way. Dam winter! :mad:

Tomorrow I'm brewing a Honey Wheat for SWMBO, and then early next week I'm using the slurry from a recent LWPA batch to make a honey pale. I need a couple quick turnaround beers to get going so I can rotate the taps.

B's Honey Wheat

A ProMash Recipe Report

------------------------------

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.75
Anticipated OG: 1.051 Plato: 12.72
Anticipated SRM: 4.0
Anticipated IBU: 24.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

-------------

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
35.9 3.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
35.9 3.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
20.5 2.00 lbs. Honey 1.042 0
5.1 0.50 lbs. Crystal 10L America 1.035 10
2.6 0.25 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Glacier Whole 5.60 14.5 60 min.
0.75 oz. Glacier Whole 5.60 7.2 15 min.
0.75 oz. Glacier Whole 5.60 2.9 5 min.

Yeast
-----
WLP320

Notes
-----

Add honey at flameout.

Nothing on the weekend as I'm working again. I was able to brew an IPA this week however. On my journey to AG I mashed 4lbs of 2row to add to a cooper's IPA kit. I learned a ton about sparging and grainbed mechanics. I was really excited to see that I hit 72% efficiency! Thanks for all your help guys! AG here I come.:rockin:

I'm going out of town this weekend, but earlier this week I racked my Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter and put some wood chips in the secondary... hence the name. We also smoked our own malt, and I have to say, it worked much better than I could have imagined. It has a subtle smoked flavor, but not overwhelming like our local O'Fallon's Smoked Porter. Stronger than the Stone though. I think I'm going to be happy with this beer.:D

So...this weekend I am brewing a Fat Tire clone, which will alo be my first foray into partial mash brewing.
I also have a pale ale to bottle, and a Belgan tripel to rack to scondary, maybe. Last I checked the Tripel was still clicking away:)

I've a got an imperial porter I want to get going so I can bet it bottled and conditioned for the autumn/winter.

If I've time I'll also get a belgian stylee Grand Cru underway for earlier consumption.

Busy busy !!

:D

Going down state to my parent's house to get my dad addicted, I mean started in his obsession, I mean hobby, of home brewing (It's his first batch as you probably guessed!). We're doing a Red Ale. Other than that I'm just waiting for the 7 day mark to rack over my XX and keg my American Cream.

WOT

Let's see... I'm looking forward to spring summer warmer weather and am continueing to more 'merican pales. But this is (kind of) completely different.

Experiments in Pale Ale #4 or The Impatient Butt-load of Hops Angry Loch Ness Monster Pale Ale

This is going to be a bit of something completely different. I am going for a 20 minute boil with a....... LOT of hops 2oz of Cascade and 4oz of Willamette (and 1oz for the secondary). The Recipator gives me some where between 42 and 78 IBUs. This'll be interesting.

Freaky avatar, catfish! Is that some sort of Japanese cultural phenomenon? Looks like a cross of a Mexican Dia de los Muertos decoration and a Mexican wrestler mask.

edit...I meant the cupcake looking skull avatar...not this blowfish of death one...

I'm tring my first brew with steeping grains this weekend... I've only done extract before... I'm brewing a kit from HomeBrewUSA called Kitty Hawk Porter... sounds good... we'll see in a few weeks...

BeeGee said:
Freaky avatar, catfish! Is that some sort of Japanese cultural phenomenon? Looks like a cross of a Mexican Dia de los Muertos decoration and a Mexican wrestler mask.

Sorry, I changed my avatar just as you mentioned it. Yeah, the old one was a Dios (dia?) de los Muertos sugar candy. Good call! :cross:

The new one is poison fish ... poison fish ... poison fish... Tasty Fish!

I'll be taking the next couple months off from brewing. See my sig for the reasons, and the project status will be updated somewhat regularly.

That's OK. I need to drink down my supply of beer anyways. Then I can brew a couple batches, lager them in a beer fridge, and serve them at my bar!!

w00t!

BeeGee said:

edit...I meant the cupcake looking skull avatar...not this blowfish of death one...
That's a "blowfish". :D I remember catching them when I was younger.

I'm going to try Cheesefood's Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale recipe this Sunday!

Has anyone else tried this?

How did it turn out?

I am going to take my first run at a Kolsch while my basement is still cool enough to get those lower fermentation/aging temps. Then I will have three german beers aging down there. After this one I am switching back to some american ales for the summer. Oh, and I plan to drink a lot of my fat tire.

No brewing for me this weekend. Instead, my girlfriend Kelly is going to try her hand at her very first brew (with me there to assist) at her home. It's an extract with grains version of Yukon Brewing's Arctic Red from BYO!

are those your girlfriend's brains pictured in your avatar?

if so, does she need another assistant? I can help 'brain' storm. :D

-walker

Walker said:
are those your girlfriend's brains pictured in your avatar?
They will be after her planned surgery next Fall.:ban: Except her brains will be a little bit bigger.;)

Rhoobarb said:
They will be after her planned surgery next Fall.:ban: Only, she be a little bit 'smarter'.;)

Hmm.. maybe I'll look into having the same surgery myself.

With brains like that and a stash of homebrew, I probably wouldn't leave the house very often.

-walker

homebrewer_99 said:
:off: One (OK, 2 of them) of my granddaughters are larger and she's looking at a reduction becuase they hurt her back.

A buddy of mine from CA (he lives in CO now) had a wife with HUGE brains. Bigger than just about anything I had ever seen. One day she mentioned her breast surgery in a conversation, and I asked, "Those are implants?"

Her response was, "Hell no! I had these reduced by about 50% when I was 19!"

I can't even imagine what those would have looked like before the reduction.

My wife is also looking into having her's 'fixed'. Not enhanced, but returned to their original shape and size from before we had kids. I'm not crazy about the idea, honestly.

-walker

:off: Well, my gf wants to 'remodel' from Bs to Ds. She's 5'7" and her frame can handle that. I'm all for it, but it's really all her idea.

Thread_Has_Been_Hijacked.jpg

ummm... your inserted picture isn't working, Dude.

plus, as you said in one of the 6.6.6 threads...

This is MY thread, and I'll do what I want with it! :D

-walker

Big brains leads to better mammaries...boom boom!

Basil%20Brush.jpg

Anywho, I'm on equipment duty this w/e...finishing my cooler box mash tun, tidying up the brew cupboard and putting up a shelf, and maybe sourcing some CO2 for my shiny corny's. :D

I did a Pale Ale Brewer's Best kit earlier this week so I'm done brewing for this week. I do have a "new" corny I need to scrub clean, so I'll get that done. Dang nice weather is going to keep me working in the yard this weekend. :(

I'm brewing by Belgian Strong Ale in my brand new 48 quart cooler mash tun, which was made especially for this brew.

The beer is for my wedding upcoming in October. I'm thinking of calling it "Holy MatrimoniAle".

My thread with pictures and a full instructional on the mash tun will be forthcoming in the equipment section as well. I'm going to try to do that this weekend, too.

Back