What's brewing in july?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About to buy the ingredients to do a funky saison and an IPA.

The saison will be with rye and about 15% honey and spiked with ECY Dirty Dozen. The IPA will be Mosaic/Citra/Simcoe in a 2:1:1 ratio with vermont ale yeast and no goddamn crystal.

Of course, both of these beers will end up being brewed in August, but whatever.

And on that note, does anyone have a preferred method for adding honey to beer? Any preferred supplier of honey or should I just get something local?

Local honey is good for a lot of reasons. Just taste it before you use it. Some wildflower honey can get pretty phenolic with brett in my limited experience. I add during chilling. I dont think it matters when, as long as wort is hot enough to dissolve the honey. What you don't want is to dump honey in and find most of it in a glob with your trub in kettle once you have racked wort to fermentor.

You could also add honey after wort has chilled (before yeast). Take a mix stir or wine whip and aerate the **** out of it while dissolving honey, just like mixing must for mead, not heating the honey will help retain a lot of the honey aroma and flavor.

Can anyone provide insight to this comment re: pedio in barrels?

Can anyone provide insight to this comment re: pedio in barrels?

That's probably just Shaun upset that someone is using his dregs in a commercial beer. There's no problem with having Pedio in a barrel if you're using it for beers that want to get acidic. All lambic barrels are going to have Pedio. Usual caveat about needing Brett or some hardy Sacch in there to clean up any diacetyl that the Pedio creates.

That's probably just Shaun upset that someone is using his dregs in a commercial beer. There's no problem with having Pedio in a barrel if you're using it for beers that want to get acidic. All lambic barrels are going to have Pedio. Usual caveat about needing Brett or some hardy Sacch in there to clean up any diacetyl that the Pedio creates.

Doesn't HF use a neutral bottling strain anyways?

Thanks, that's what I thought / why I was confused.

Didn't want to get into the pissing contest about using dregs. Had a hearty lol at Respirologist comments on that twitter thread.

Doesn't HF use a neutral bottling strain anyways?

Have definitely used new and old HF dregs and had no problem growing them up and getting the awesomeness from the resulting beer. The whole 'killer' bottling strain seems like a well perpetuated myth in my experience.

I took it more as Hill Farmstead commenting on the presence of Pedio in the Casey dregs. A lot of brewers avoid pedio because it can take a while.

It could be Shaun Hill being pissy about people stealing his dregs again though.

Thanks, that's what I thought / why I was confused.

Didn't want to get into the pissing contest about using dregs. Had a hearty lol at Respirologist comments on that twitter thread.

Have definitely used new and old HF dregs and had no problem growing them up and getting the awesomeness from the resulting beer. The whole 'killer' bottling strain seems like a well perpetuated myth in my experience.

Legit have no idea what i'm talking about. Just know its kinda rude to be flaunting where you get you're ingredients from.

2mh8o6g.jpg

i never used dregs from breweries. i will try it as soon as i decide to brew something funky.
i can understand him being upset about a brewery using his dregs though.
if i owned a brewery/brew pub...i would culture my own wild yeast strain and blend it...

in before August...

I finished the "first round" of fruiting my berliners. I say first round because im still actively picking wineberries and elderberries when I find them in the wild and they are ripe. I picked 10lbs of elderberries tonight and 3 hours it took me to clean them down to 3.5 lbs which I added to 5 gallons of berliner. I wont be happy with that until I get at least 1.5 more pounds added.

Anyway, the berliner fruit additions I decided on this year are:
-Black Raspberry
-Blackberry
-Blueberry
-Wineberry
-Elderberry

The fruited Berliner that I recently bottled is almost too fruity. It's over the top sweet and tastes like liquified strawberry jelly. I'm assuming that this will mellow out over time.

The fruited Berliner that I recently bottled is almost too fruity. It's over the top sweet and tastes like liquified strawberry jelly. I'm assuming that this will mellow out over time.
Sweet? Did you forget to let the fruit ferment?

Over the top fruit is what people want these days anyway. You should start a brewery

Sweet? Did you forget to let the fruit ferment?

Over the top fruit is what people want these days anyway. You should start a brewery
It definitely fermented out. The strawberries pretty much completely broke down in to a fine mush.

Back