What's a keggle worth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I married a good women. She's on her way to work this morning and spots this on the side of the road and gives me a call. :D

I already have a 62qt Bayou and didn't really need it, but . . .

So, before I admit to what I paid, what is one of these worth? Lid, false bottom, welded stainless handles. It's got a welded port below the false bottom, but it's small (1/8-27 NPT.) Wouldn't take much to open it up or replace. If nothing else it's 36lbs of stainless.

keggle1.jpg

keggle3.jpg

I think that would sell for somewhere around $75 or so. It would be worth more like $100-125 if it had a bulkhead and ball valve installed.

The FB needs more holes. I forsee many stuck sparges with the current configuration.

The FB needs more holes. I forsee many stuck sparges with the current configuration.

I was thinking the same thing if used as a MLT, but I thought it was used as a BK. Would it be any help in keeping hop debris out of the fermenter?

But I don't know for sure. The old women who came to the door couldn't answer any questions.

Nice link foodplusbeer. So, I guess it is worth the $45 I paid?

I was thinking the same thing if used as a MLT, but I thought it was used as a BK. Would it be any help in keeping hop debris out of the fermenter?

But I don't know for sure. The old women who came to the door couldn't answer any questions.

Nice link foodplusbeer. So, I guess it is worth the $45 I paid?

Clean it up shiny-like, drill a few hundred holes in the FB (no, there's still not enough holes to keep it from clogging with hop debris) and install a real 1/2" bulkhead/valve...then I bet you could get $100 for it. Would cost you time plus $25 for the bulkhead/valve kit. Probably not worth it.

So, I guess it is worth the $45 I paid?
But nothing more. :eek:

Oh well. So much for feeling good about a score that I could sell and make a few bucks. Probably end up sitting in my basement with the rest of my junk (until I get a visit from Hoarders.)
:D:drunk::cross:

But nothing more. :eek:

Oh well. So much for feeling good about a score that I could sell and make a few bucks. Probably end up sitting in my basement with the rest of my junk (until I get a visit from Hoarders.)
:D:drunk::cross:

If it's an upgrade over current equipment, size-wise, why not spend the time to put a bulkhead in it and use it for something? Are you propane, stove-top, electric? Would make a nice BK for larger batches if you're a 5G guy or perhaps a HLT if you currently use one kettle for both.

Latest posts

Back